New here.......

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Windy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Windy

Windy Well-Known Member Supporting

I just joined up and 'aka' said maybe you guys can help me identify my Dad's Marlin. I'm so sorry but all I have is lousy cell phone pictures that probably won't help you at all but I will post them anyway.

This is what is printed on the Marlin in question.
    The Marlin Firearms Co. New Haven, Conn S.A. Est. 1875
    Model 81-DL .22 cal-S-L-LR

And here are the lousy pictures. I know it is a very old rifle. I have never seen sights like this Marlin has, but then again, I am quite a newby to the gun world. Also, I have removed the rust from this rifle with 0000 steel wool dipped in some oil. I have also learned to undo 'that big screw' and take the barrel off the stock to further clean the barrel.

Attached Files:

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Windy, breaking it down, it's a Model 81, the DL could mean deluxe, but i will have to check further for sure. 22 rimfire and shoots shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges.

looks like you did a fantastic job cleaning it up! good job. maybe some of our more knowledgeable members will chime in and help us determine more information on that rifle.

3. Windy

Any opinion or knowledge on those sights? They are adjustable with a thumb screw.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

some type of peep sight. not for sure if they were added on or are factory installed.

5. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Does it have a serial # on it ? If so you can use X's for the last couple of numbers but include any letters ;) If not I just ran across this with a quick google search ( so take with a grain of salt , but may be helpfull )

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-149215.html

One of the posts there says this

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thank you 1894. i was also curious about the DL designation.

7. Windy

Thank you so much.

8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

9. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

And it seems that some were made with a clip ( detachable ) magazine , and most had a tube magazine. Hard to tell from your pics which style you have .

10. Windy

Yep. That's exactly it. Thank you.

Mine (or really my Dad's) Marlin has a tube magazine.