New Marlin Rifles?

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by axxe55, Jun 13, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

okay, here's just something for fun. if you could ask the powers to be or they asked you, what rifle or caliber would you like to be offered as a new model, what would it be? you can answer with a gun they offer but in a caliber they don't or some type of gun they don't currently offer.

here are my suggestions.

the X7 series offered in 6.5x55 Swedish, the X7 in 7x57 and the XS7VH in 220 Swift.

the other suggestion would be for Marlin to come out with their version of the Colt 1911.

2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of a 6.5x55 in the bolt guns. I would like to see a small caliber dual purpose cartridge added to the Marlin Express line up if they ever come back. I was thinking a .257ME with loadings in 87grs and 117grs would be a useful rifle. Performance wise it should be somewhere between a .250Sav and a .257Rob.

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

It's way to late now - but I always thought a Model 1894 chambered in the .357 Maximum would have been a sweet rifle. It might have helped keep the cartridge alive????????
    Oh well. Water under the bridge. :-((

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

yes Hyphen, the X7 in a 6.5x55 would be a great caliber. i would buy one very quickly.

Grey, the 357 Maximum just never reached any popularity for some reason, even in the pistols chambered for them. my thinking is most who looked at them and considered them just went for the 44 Magnum instead.

another one i would like to see, is the comeback of the Marlin Camp Carbines. those were really neat little rifles.

5. Hyphenated

The 357 Maximum would be nice in the 1894. I just wonder if the OAL would prevent it from chambering.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i think that if they could get the 45-70 into one, they should be able to get the 357 maximum to fit.

7. Busta919

Busta919 Member

7mm-08 or .44 Mag in the style of the Papoose.
    Or a carbine in .40S&W.

8. Busta919

Busta919 Member

Or even the .444.

9. Hyphenated

They can't get either of those cartridges in a 1894....it's pistol calibers only. Now if you want to talk a different platform...that's a whole new ballgame.

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Hyphen it could be the M1895 that i am thinking of instead, the one chambered in 45-70 factory.

11. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

How about bringing back the Camp Carbines in 9 m/m and .45 acp? 9 m/m should use Glock mags and the .45 should utilize 1911 mags. With all the preppers out there, they might actually sell this time around.

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

28shooter, i was kind of thinking the same thing. maybe also updated with a synthetic stock and i like your idea of the newer style and more common mags. i missed out on them years ago for some reason and when i find one now, they are priced way too high for me. good suggestion!

13. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Thank you Axxe. I too missed out on them the last time around and it's been so long since I saw one in the used rack, I almost forget what they looked like. Also, as you said, the prices they command are way out of line for what they are.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  14. tCan

tCan Active Member

A Marlin 60/44. Who knows what I'm talking about?

15. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i'm guessing a M60 in 44 caliber instead of a 22? if so, sounds interesting. would probably have to start from scratch due to difference in ammo pressure and recoil, but it is definately an interesting idea.

16. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

I think Marlin should make a mean 1911. Everyone makes 1911's today though, markets are probably already too flooded to introduce one of their own.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

well not really. if they could build one in the same manner as X7 series of rifles, an affordable and quality 1911 that was reliable and accurate, they would sell pretty quickly and the problem i see would them keeping up production. look at some that are available now that weren't there just a few years ago, Ruger, Remington, Sig Sauer, Dan Wesson and several others.

18. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

Axxe that is my point, everyone has made their own version of the pistol that there are so many of them on the markets now. Its just that they would be chiming in late compared to everyone else. But you are correct though that if they could make something cheap and reliable they could get a good amount of business, I would definitely check their 1911 out! Don't get me wrong, I am all for the idea, I just think they are behind in the 1911 ring.

19. tCan

tCan Active Member

Why would marlin make a 1911, when remington already has one? If you want a marlin 1911, just buy the remington. Same company. I also think the marlin brand is marketed at a different sector of the market. Marlin makes sporting rifles, not combat pistols.

20. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

It may be the same company, not the same name though. If you sell similar products under different brand names people impartial to a certain brand name may buy from their favorite brand instead some other brand they are less familiar with. So Marlin would probably make a 1911 to attract Marlin die hards to purchase their guns and make money. Obviously having the two names is beneficial or Remington would have dropped the Marlin name awhile ago. I don't know if the 1911 are marketed as combat pistols either, I don't see to many of my friends combating others with their 1911s.