New Marlin XT-17VO , no accuracy

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by mrwintr, Mar 16, 2013.

1. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

This is the heavy 22" barrel with the laminated hardwood stock and cheap 3-9x32 scope. So I got 5 different boxes of .17HMR ammo and went to sight this in....shots were all over the place, even at 35yards I was unable to get 3 shots to group tighter than 1", so I cleaned it again real well, made sure everything from the bases up were tight and went out and tried it again. At 70 yards every brand and weight bullet landed all over the target, some as far apart as 4".
    The trigger is set nice at just about 3 pounds and I am using shooting bags on a bench, so the human factor isn't the issue here. The best they would do (CCI 17gr HP) was 2" at 70 yards.
    I called Marlin and the person I spoke to said I could send it back, but if it was able to do 2" at 100 yards that would be good enough for them and would send it back without doing anything to it.
    I wasn't getting 2" at 100, but at 70 yds. still I couldn't believe that Marlin considers 2" at 100 good enough for this heavy barrel bolt action .17 HMR rifle, I consider a rifle that won't do 1" at 100 worthless.
    Please chime in if you have any thoughts on what Marlin considers accurate or if you have a XT-17HMR that shoots tight groups at 100yds.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

It could be the SCOPE !!. Even tho all mounts are tight. Is it on bases or a rail. Might try removing the bases/rail, cleaning under the bases and receiver to remove all Oil, greese or any other foreigh substance. Then remount and try again. It should shoot better than that. Looking at their site they dont make any accuracy warrenties.

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I suspect you have a bad scope. I had the same problem with my .223 awhile back.

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would try another scope first before I spent the money to send it back. I think you mentioned it had a 'cheap scope'.

If you are shooting small vermin at 100yds 2MOA is the difference between a hit or miss. However, I think I could live with it if all my groups were in the 1.25" range or a shade over at 100Yds.

5. oldbrass

Try another scope just to make sure (any scope will do) I took the 3-9 Nikon off the .223 and put a simons 4X .22 scope on it for S&G and it was spot on

6. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I forgot to mention in the first post, because it was getting lengthy, that I had bought new and replaced the scope. I bought a new Nikon prostaff 3-9 x 40 and some good Warne rings and installed them....it didn't help one bit. I really did figure at first that the scope must be the culprit, but that ain't it.
    I am very well versed on firearms and checked everything that could possibly effect accuracy, except for air guaging the bore....I don't have that equipment, but my guess is the rifling has got to be really messed up. The end of the barrel (bore looks perfect also, I checked that with a magnifying glas to make sure there were no dings or burrs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  7. oldbrass

Not doubting your marksmanship skills, have you had someone else shoot the rifle? Sometimes a fella just gets flustered

8. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

Actually I am the "Go to guy" in my area for friends and people that want things setup well on their guns, but I am sure you did have to question my abilities. Like I said this is being shot with a Bull bag up fron and a rear bag, on a bench, with a 3 pound trigger, there really isn't any human factor left, plus I do know how to shoot rifles very well.
    The point of this post was not to have people try and figure out what I may or may not know, but what the XT-17 is or should be capable of....according to Marlin they are not very capable!

9. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Hate to say it but....Bad guns (almost always barrels) do happen. My brother-in law had a Rem .270 that went thru a dozen scopes, every flavor of ammo and would not shoot a 2 shot group within 3". The shots would wonder all over. He sold it, replaced it with another just like it and it is a tack driver.

10. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I had heard some stories about Marlins quality had gone down hill in the last few years and I would have to say that it may be true....I will never buy another one. It's too bad that companies just want to make money now and don't seem to put much care into building there stuff.
    I really expected someone to post that they had one of these XT-17's that would either shoot really tight or was doing the same as mine.
    In my opinion building a rifle of any caliber should be able to do at least 1" at 100 or it wasn't worth a dang thing and should even be sold.
    Problem is, I will not sell this to someone knowing that it is not capable of any accuracy, i'm too frackin honest and I would feel guilty about it....even if it were a total stranger, so I am stuck with the thing! I might as well have thrown $279.00 plus tax, plus scope, plus rings, plus ammo out the damn window!

11. oldbrass

are the barrels easy to change ??

12. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

I don't think they are too bad, they are pinned. I also checked to make sure that the barrel was tight with the receiver because pinned barrels are often not real tight with the receiver and that will cause you to pul your hair out also...but appeared to be good.
    Why do you have another barrel kicking around :)

13. oldbrass

HAHA No but if I did I`d send it to ya. All my bolt guns are savage and barrel swaps take 15 minutes with a go/no go guage and a spanner wrench...
    I didn`t mean to offend you earlier by questioning your shooting abilities..I guess someone had to ask..I could have used your help on my last fiasco with the bad scope..

14. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

Hey Oldbrass, do you have a .17 HMR? if so, what brand and what size groups can you get at 100yds.?

15. oldbrass

No 17s My bolt guns are 30-06 7mm-08 .223 .22lr

16. CallMaker

CallMaker Active Member

"and cheap 3-9x32 scope"

Ya don't suppose??????

17. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

You don't suppose what?

I know better to than to trust the scope that came with it,but in the end I figured out the cheap scope wasn't jumping around, because it shot just as poorly with the better scope.
    It's going back to Marlin on the next UPS truck .

18. mizzouri1

mizzouri1 Member

we all feel your pain, it really sucks to have a new rifle that dosen't perform. i feel that the quality of marlin has went way down hill since remington took over,jmo
    i have the marlin 917vs 2002, on a calm day it shoots quarter size groups @ 100yards. i hope you get it lined out. mizzouri

19. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

I dunno about stuck with? I'd almost be willing to bet a well-composed letter of explanation and your case of TERMINAL MARLIN SYDROME [since you swore you'll never buy another] may net some positive results. Might take a bit of work in putting a document together and finding THE person it should be addressed to, but I'd be damned if I would eat a $300 purchase out of being short-changed by what appears to be a flawed chamber/leade/barrel???

Everyone I know that owns the tiny vermin destroyer says without winds to contend with that the .17HMR is a tack driving round.

Don't give up. I'd give 'em hell in a tactful manner. You might be rewarded. Send a Letter (I'd send it "Certified Mail"), Dated Targets (ammo used noted) with a witness or two's signature on the targets and see what kind of response Marlin has. Phone calls often fall on deaf ears. People in general have lost the ability to LISTEN and COMPREHEND (especially the younger folks 18-30)!!! If that doesn't work...at least you'll go down fighting mad, rather than just reactively pizz'd off :eek: Just me thinking outloud...AGAIN :rolleyes:

It would sure test "Marlington's" standing among gun owners on this site if you did, then shared their reaction and any offers to make good on this rifle or tell you Caveat Emptor :eek:

20. mrwintr

mrwintr Active Member

The rifle is all packaged up waiting for UPS to stop at my dealers to pick it up....I included and very nice letter that was pleasant yet firm as to what I expect the rifle to do. I included the last target that I shot at 90 yds...6 shots, benched, bagged and practicly vised...they were all over in about a
    3 1/2" area, no consistency at all.
    I also copied a picture of their front cover of the Owners manual which shows the XT Series and under it shows a target with a 1/2" hole chewed out of the bullseye, so them telling me that if it would do a 2" group at 100 yds it would be good as they will make it, so I stapled that picture to the taget I shot and the letter. I wrote on that photocopy that I expect my XT series to shoot as well as they are advertising on their manual.
    We'll see what happens, but I really don't expect them to do much or anything on the first run.....this has been the experience with Marlin and Bushmaster in the last year, it took each of those rifles a 3rd trip to the factory for them to actually do something to the rifles.