Newbie -- Marlin 880

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rs917, Oct 16, 2013.

1. rs917

rs917 Member

Hi everyone...

I'm new to this forum and more or less to shooting in general. I had a Marlin 880 that I really enjoyed and was able to shoot pretty well with it. It was actually the first gun I really got to shoot for a long time...previously my only shooting experience was a gun safety class when I was 10-12 y/o. Unfortunately it was a loaner so I had to return it.

Now, every gun I've shot since has been compared in my mind with that old Marlin 880. I'm not sure if this model was unusually accurate for a .22lr rifle, or if it was just the particular gun I had, but it was a real "tack driver"—as I've heard it said. Twice, I made what I thought were impossible shots, and given my (lack of) experience I have to attribute it to the gun.

Both were at night, open sights, offhand, while holding a flashlight. With one, I hit a sitting coon right between the eyes from 50 yds (measured it afterwards), and the second was similar, but on a smaller game animal.

So can anyone tell me more about the 880? It seems that Marlin still makes guns that look similar to the 880, but I have no idea if they really are. By way of description, the one I had a wood stock, scope "dovetail" on top of the barrel. I've come to see the the trigger was pretty bad, but it was all I knew at the time. The whole gun alway struck me as being heavy for a .22, but I liked that. I thought it made it easier to hold steady.

So can anyone point me to articles, threads etc on this gun or give me their thoughts? I've already run searches and found a few things, but mostly on the SS or SQ versions. Does this gun have too much of a high position in my mind, or is it really a good gun?

Thanks in advance, and I'm open to any comments. Like I said, this is all new to me.

-rs917

2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Well-Known Member Supporting

Hey rs917 welcome to the club! I'd like to invite you to go to the introductions and tell us a little about yourself.
    By the way check out our rimfire threads for a little more information and comparisons.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Welcome To The Forum

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum !!

5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Mate
    From Oz !

6. rs917

rs917 Member

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

After prowling around the forum for a while, I realized that the 39A lever action is a well-respected rifle. The guy at the local gun shop said that if I ever found one to grab it, because they're worth it. One showed up for $529 and I didn't get it. Gone in a few days. :)

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum. Pretty friendly group here. Jump right in an join in the fun.