oak plank stop

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by straightshooter, Jun 27, 2014.

1. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I have been trying to find out if a 4x6 oak plank would suffice for a back stop for 30-30 from a Marlin 336. This oak is so hard it is almost impossible to drive a 16 penny nail all into it. Would this oak stop a 30-30 from maybe 50 yards out?
    If not then I need make a new backstop. Maybe a couple yards of sand in front of the oak wall would be needed.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion;
    I believe the Oak Plank would stop a 30-30 at that distance, at least for awhile.
    However, after repeated rounds, the resulting damage would most likely compromise the integrity of the barrier. At which time, there would be some cost to replace the damaged section, not to mention the time and effort.
    Therefore, I would recommend placing a solid layer of earth or sand in front of the Oak. Much easier to maintain.
    JMHO

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

4. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

If it's that hard, I'd be worried about ricochets.

5. straightshooter

I set up my hanging oak wedge target low so if it did go through the oak backing stop then it would just go into the ground behind the stop. I made sure there was no cattle or anything to get hit by a possible stray bullet. There is probably clear 100 acres behind my stop.
    I also hung a roll of freezer paper from the top cross pvc pipe frame and pulled down a sheet behind my swinging wedge so I could see where the bullet was hitting. If I hit the wedge then I would know as the wedge would repel around but if I missed then without the paper I would have no idea where the bullet was hitting.
    I set up a table and chair with an adjustable gun rest about 50 yards away. First two shots I was about 2" high and 4" right. I wasn't seeing any exits from the bullets on backstop.
    Mind you this was really my first time adjusting and sighting in a scope. I adjusted it 4 clicks to left and 2 clicks down. Well that didn't cause much difference. I ended up going about 8 clicks more left and 4 more clicks down. Now I was verticle centered but still hitting right. I adjusted 12 clicks left and let the vertical setting alone.
    Bingo! Now the wedge was swinging.
    I checked the back side of backstop and this time I found about an 1" exit hole with some split out 6" long pieces. I found the last two bullets laying almost at the exit hole. I shot a total of 12 rounds but there were only two rounds and 1 exit hole I found. The two rounds that exited were down lower where the oak probably was weakened from water saturation.
    Had a fun time today and I like the 336. I wasn't even wearing a shirt and the recoil wasn't bad at all. Another day and I will try getting more precise sighting in. The gun is louder than I expected and glad I was wearing hearing protection. Other than my model 60 this is the only other rifle I have ever shot. A tad bit of difference from the model 60.

Attached Files:

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Looks like a reasonable set-up. I'm glad that you like the 336. It's a fine rifle that will give you years of pleasure.
    Thanks for sharing. We like pictures. :))

7. straightshooter

Okay here is the update. I dismantled my old bullet stop and rearranged the 4x6 wall for the new bullet trap. The only thing I bought was another yard of sand for $18. The new construction was built solely from wood from old trap.
    It may not look like a precision built apparatus but it serves the purpose now for about any rifle or handgun. There is at least 1'-3' deep sand before the oak planks so I am pretty sure the planks will not feel any lead let alone go through them. 6" of sand was shown on you tube to stop 9-40-45 handgun ammo so this deep of sand should stop most any rifle.

Attached Files:

8. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Man, that's some flat country. Around here we just shoot against a hill! Lol

9. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

3' of compacted dirt will stop ANY center fire rifle round. Ive sat behind a douple layer of sandbags and took a lot of ak47 rounds. They are very close to 30-30 power and velocity. Every day we would have to replace the ones that took multiple hits in the same area and started to tear and leak sand.

I have built and tested a trap with 2X4 on edge box faced on both sides with 3/8" particle board and filled with small gravel. It measured 5" thick, 1.5" of particle board and 3.5" of gravel. Three rounds of .357 point blank (well about 3") into the same hole and didn't break thru.

Your timber and sand bullet trap is very similar to the NRA recommended one ...... :D Looks good

10. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

On your scope adjustment, on most hunting scopes, the clicks represent .25" @ 100 yards. From the 50 cut that in half, so a click will only move the POI 1/8". and that's an average, some will move more some less, depending on the rife and ammo, and of course the, what I refer to myself and all other shooters, The Wing Nut behind the gun. You did good.

11. straightshooter

Around Houston the only hills are fire ant hills and we have plenty of those.