Ok what do I need

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by FOUR4D4, Feb 8, 2012.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

What do I need here i know i need some kind of powder measure will the on in the picture work with 444marlin reloading

[​IMG]

2. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

You will get varied opinions on what is needed. Some of which depends on what you wish to spend.

First off You have a GREAT Press with the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press. You can also remove the auto advance rod if you so wish.

For those large cases I would not use the Pro Auto Disc.

I prefer the RCBS 10-10 Scale but they are expensive now. And sorry I guess I am Old School as I just do not trust those electronic gizmo scales lol.

If you do not wish to spend those kinds of funds the Cheap Lee Safety Powder Scale does work just fine as well as the Lee Perfect Powder Measure.

And at Least a Lee Case Trimmer. They are easy to use and cheap.

I would also get a powder trickler as well.

One more thing. A Lyman 49th edition reloading book. :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

FOUR, you're off to a good start and jester has made some good recommendations. i do now myself use one of the Frankford Arsenal digital scales and have had good results with it, and use it with my powder trickler. one thing i would suggest also, not truly needed but is helpful and would make a good addition later if needed is a tumbler to clean the brass. i bought mine from MidSouth Shooters Supply. it's a Smart Reloader brand, very inexpensive, but will work for the casual reloaders needs well. i paid less than $40 for it and 5lbs. of corn cob media, for mine.

also needed, primer pocket cleaner, neck deburring tool, sizing lube if the dies you are using aren't carbide.

i'm sure i'll think of more later! enjoy, as reloading is an enjoyable addition to shooting, and there is much satisfaction in shooting ammo you reloaded.

4. FOUR4D4

Thanks did i say I shoot my 444S today very pleased with it I got a bullseye.I was shooting Horady Leverevolution;Is there some reason why i cant reload this brass.I was told its to short of a case. Thanks for the replies.

FOUR4D4

5. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

If you like the Leverevolution rounds you can save the brass and re-load them as you can purchase just the bullets from Hornady as a component.

I wish I could give more information on the Leverevolution but I can not. As I use Remington brass and load either Cast or Jacketed Hornaday 350Gr Round Nose.

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I posted some Hornady Loading links on here, in another thread.
    I have loaded the Hornady FTX (Leverevalution replacement) in my 30-30 and my .35 Rem. Hornady recommends that those 2 cases be trimmed an extra .010 because the ogive of the bullet. I considered loading the 225 gr. FTX in a Browning mod. 92 until I found out that the case needed to be trimmed an extra .020 for the same reason. Stands to reason that the .44 cal. 265 gr. FTX in your 444 LE would have the same ogive and that the LE brass would come from the factory as a shorter case. :confused:
    Let me look and if I find that thread, I'll copy it to here.
    If it were me, I would segregate the LE brass and use it for FTX bullets only.
    Or, shoot your lead bullets until the brass grows to the standard length. At any case, you will need to focus very closely on the crimp process and don't mix the brass.

7. FOUR4D4

It looks like we have an active amount of reloaders here. Thanks Hawk.

8. greyhawk50

Aside from Primers, Powder, Bullets & Dies, here is a photo of my bench.
    Actually, this is generation 3 of my 40+ years of loading. It is about as simple as it gets, IMO.
    (left side of bench) The press is an old Lyman C single stage. The Powder Measure is an Ideal 55. The battery drill is used with the Lee Case Length Trimmer System & the Case De-Burr tool. I gave up on using the Lathe Type Trimmer. :( I like the Lee System better and it is much cheaper. And, IMO, just as fast. Not to mention how accurate it is.
    (top shelf, left to right) The Powder Scales are Ohaus counterbalance type . I have a digital scales but seldom use it. Loading Manuals (at least 2 for comparison). Green Lube Pad & Dial Calipers.
    (middle shelf) Assorted Dies, Digital Scales and a set of Lee Powder Measure Scoops. (I use the scoops, my balance scales and a Trickler when loading 20 rounds or less. I measure every load.
    (bottom shelf) Bottle of Case Lube, Powder Trickler, Powder Funnels, Spent Primer Catch Tray & extra shell case boxes.
    The Powder & bullets are in the metal 2 drawer file cabinet - and oh yes - my chocolate stash is on top. :)
    Grey.

Attached Files:

9. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Four4D4...check out this thread and you will learn some tips on dealing with the short Hornady LE brass. A lot of this info can be used with your .444. Hopefully you have a set of .44mag dies to make this plan work for you.
    http://www.marlinforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147

10. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

The AutoDisk measure works better with smaller grain powders like 2400, Unique, etc. The way it accepts and measures a powder drop isn't as compatible with IMR4198 as the Perfect Powder Measure. However, the rotary drum style of powder measure like the PPM takes getting used to it to get consistent drops. Takes some practice.

The Auto-Disk probably won't drop enough powder for your 444 unless you are working up light loads of 2400 or Unique. Even then you may need the double disk kit to enable you to stack two disks on top of one another to get enough volume. I have the double disk kit just for that scenario with 2400.

You get a big attaboy for going for the press that will offer more ability for you to expand your capabilities later. The classic cast turret is what I recently evolved to. Nice to be able to leave your dies adjusted when you store them away or change to another caliber. You'll probably find though you want to remove the auto-indexing pawl system for rifle calibers. I tend to batch load, do one step with all the brass batch then move to the next step. The turret saves me a lot of time in removing, installing, readjusting the dies each session or step change.

Good luck and have fun.

11. FOUR4D4

I'm thinking, tell me if I'm wrong here.For a beginner would it be better if i set that press in single stage mode.For a more relaxed pace and more attention to detail of each step?(I'm retired and worked on a assembly line I'm done with repetitive pace and speed of the line speed and quantity was placed above quality)

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

it might be easier starting out that way. i use an older RCBS single stage press i inherited from my dad, from the late 60's, (they do last almost forever!) that works great. i reload for accuracy, not volume. i am thinking of adding a progressive or turret type press to reload for my 40 S-W, 45 ACP and 223. so that i can reload in volume for these calibers. but i like the single stage as usually the most i reload at a time is about 40-100 rounds for different rifles. i just received my 270 Win. dies in the other day. i can't wait to load some handloads for it and try them out.

13. FOUR4D4

Axxe 55 let me know what you find for the .270. My Winchester Model 70 went with me yesterday to the range shes all zeroed in ,I'm glad I decided to shot the Model 70 before 20 rounds with the Marlin .444.My shoulder sore! Well really 16 rounds.

14. greyhawk50

IMHO, I believe that your thinking is good. I've never owned anything besides a single stage press for rifle or pistols. It would depend on the volume that you shoot, being pleasure or competition.
    However, I was into Trap Shooting for about 9 years and there were as many as 4 of my friends shooting my 12 ga. reloads. I started with a MEC Single Stage Press the first 2 years. Then I bought a MEC 9000G Progressive because we were loading 5000 rounds a year for the next 5 years. The last 2 years, the reloads went to 8000/yr. Then it all kinda stopped due to the increase in Lead prices and a couple of the guys moved out of the area. After that, I sold the 9000G and kept the single stage for my own use.
    Like I said. It depends on the volume. And you will know when that day comes.
    Just my 2 cents. ;)

15. greyhawk50

An update and a question.

In addition to the list of items that I posted on page 1, I also have a set of cutters that size the primer pockets to factory specification. They are not the normal primer pocket reamers. I believe they are called "uniforming cutters". There are 3 cutters in all. One for Lg. Rifle, one for Lg. Pistol and one for Sm. rifle/pistol. They not only clean the primer pocket but they reform it to the proper diameter & depth.
    Aside from that, I have a cutter that removes the burrs from the primer flash hole, inside the case. These tools are normally used by bench-rest shooters.
    Does anyone else use these tools as part of their case preparation????

16. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

when the bullets arrive in the next few days, i will put some together and try them out next weekend. i will give you a progress report of what i come up with. i want to try out some of my IMR4198 with them as i use this powder with my 7mm Rem. Mag., and it takes a lot of the felt recoil out of it. so it should tame the 270 down somewhat. it also pretty accurate in the 7mm Rem. Mag., so i am curious to see what results i get with it in the 270.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Four, i recieved my 270 bullets tuesday, and loaded up 15 with some IMR4350 powder, using 140gr BTSP bullets from Hornady. this saturday if the weather is cooperative, i plan on shooting them and see what happens. i need to order some cases from Midway so i will have more cases to load, but might go to wal-mart and buy some ammo just for the cases to reload. if i can, i will update you saturday or sunday on the results of my shooting with my reloads.

18. FOUR4D4

Awesome we love a range report!

19. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i also loaded 40 rounds of 7mm-08 to test out tto get a baseline to compare to when the rifle is rebarreled. i also plan on loading about 40-60 308 rounds to shoot and finish up with 30 rounds of 7mm Rem. Mag. might even haul out the 25-06 and shoot it some, i've got about 60 rounds of loaded ammo for it too. i have worked the last 10 saturdays in a row, and it has really cut into my shooting time a bunch. if the weather is cooperative saturday and sunday, i plan on shooting and doing some load development. i recently bought a different brand of 308 bullets, same weight little different design than the last ones used. i want to try those out.