old or new question

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by likearock, Jan 28, 2013.

1. likearock

likearock Member

I have a model 60 that was made in 1966 according to the serial letters. I see parts being sold as "old style and new style". When did the old style end and the new style begin? All I have is the barrel and reciever so I need to buy several parts and wanna make sure Im buying the right parts. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

I don't have a date but if you go to Numrich I think they have the breakdown of when parts changed. trigger guard, feed throat and LSHO are some of the big changes. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but I am pretty sure all the other parts should be pretty interchangeable. The action set up is pretty much the same from way back. You might be better off looking for a beater at the pawn shop for cheap and use the parts. Heck, if you do that I may make you an offer on whats left and you could get a free parts if the price is right.

3. likearock

likearock Member

Thanks Spud for the quick reply.Got a couple pawn shops about 20 miles from me Im gonna check out tomorrow. I just bought a model 60 stock on ebay for my nephew for his 60 and it was the new style. Im assuming the stock I need will be the old style since its 46 years old. Im gonna need a stock, both inter and outer tubes, trigger assembly.

4. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

actually the stock inletting is the same as the receivers are all the same size. the difference is in the internals and trigger guard, that stock you bought should fit. You will just need a new trigger guard unless I am not understanding you correctly. The new models have a Last Shot Hold Open (LSHO) that shouldnt be on yours. I don' t really know what year they started using them but I think it was in the mid 80's.

5. likearock

likearock Member

Correct. No LSHO on mine. I dont know much about these 60s. My bolt dont lock in place in the eject position where his does. His stock has an extra square hole that, I thought, was for that little lever that drops down that you can pull to release the bolt. Ive noticed that the old style stocks dont have that hole.

6. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Correct, the really early models, 60's, did not have a bolt hold open on the receiver. Later they changed the charging handle to have a pin like piece cut out and a hole drilled into the receiver. Later they started with the LSHO. The bolt was cut a little different for the later models, 70/80's to accept the charging handle with the bolt hold open. The point is, the receiver and barrel should fit any stock but the trigger guard will be different depending on the age of the stock but will still fit the receive and work. If I am not mistaking, you would have to get a newer bolt and charging handle with the nipple on it and drill a hole for the nipple to fit in to get it to stay open. I have two oldies that I don't care that the bolt doesn't stay open, old school... I like it.

7. likearock

likearock Member

Got ya. Im with you about liking the bolt not locking and would rather not change it. Its a project and not a need. Since I found out its about 50 years old, the plan is to just restore it back to original. Theres really no interest in changing or modifying anything on it. Just wanna make it whole again like it was 46 years ago.

8. likearock

likearock Member

Here's what I have to start with.

Attached Files:

9. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

10. likearock

likearock Member

Was just working on the barrel and its gonna clean up just fine. The reciever has a bubbling effect. Seems like paint bubbling. Not really sure what to use to clean that up. Need both tubes also.
    Checked a couple sites and serial AJ = January, 1966.

11. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Depending on what your are capable of, I would use either 3M sanding pads to clean the barrel, degrease it and reblue it. The receiver, sand with 3M pads or Home depot carries fine sanding sponge/pads for drywall, they work great for stripping the paint off. Alumihyde is the mainstay for the DIY crowd. Bolt, use pads to clean good, then work your way to 320/400/600 etc... wet sand until you get the shine you like. have fun!!

12. likearock

likearock Member

Ok. Thanks. Sounds good.

13. likearock

likearock Member

Well its done. Not real happy with the bluing job. May put another couple coats on. I may refinish the stock too. I give it a B- from where it was to now.

Attached Files:

14. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Hey, if it is better than when you started you are on the right path. Believe me, it takes a few times to figure it out and get it right. It looks good, shoots straight.... you are not going anywhere just yet so you have time to improve, redo the stock and get better... as you get better so does the gun. Congrats on finishing. Now shoot it!!!

15. likearock

likearock Member

Thanks. My son just bought an M1A and wants to shoot it so will probably shoot it tomorrow. We'll see.