Only one marlin

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by oldbrass, Feb 1, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I see some of you fellas have a whole cabinet full of marlins. I wish I did but finances won`t allow for that these days. I only own one marlin, a 336W 30-30 however it is my favorite rifle. Anyone else here have just one or am I the oddball here ??

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Can you define "oddball"???????????? :p

At least you have one and the desire to grow.
    Seem normal to me. :)
    That's a really good start. ;)

3. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Four Marlins here. Another Browning 22lr lever and Rossi 45 lever. Probably going to stay that way. Only one bolt gun in the house and it's a family heirloom Remington 511 Scoremaster 22 rimfire. Brought into the family around 1938-40 if the story is accurate.

I'm not really a collector. Just enough variety for the task at hand.

4. Gaterskiner

Gaterskiner Well-Known Member

You are the only man in the entire United States os America who owns only one Marlin. If that is not oddball I don't know what is.:D:D:D

5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

You might be the only guy who is immune to Marlinitis....and I thought that was impossible. :rolleyes:

6. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

"You are the only man in the entire United States os America who owns only one Marlin. If that is not oddball I don't know what is"

Dat's actually funny...give it time.

7. PackinPreacher

PackinPreacher Well-Known Member

I used to own only one...

8. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

That's all in the past PP. All in the past...........

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

as Marlins have been around for many, many years and have produced many different types of firearms over the years, we will have many to choose from for years to come. they also produced contract guns for many others, under differnt names, Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto, ect. so there are some more to include into checking out for collecting. i have four different Marlins, and have plans on adding many more to my collection. the newer line of bolt actions they are making are awesome rifles and are priced at a level many others ought to be priced at, especially for the quality and accuracy they deliver.

10. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That got me laughing.

11. deerhog

deerhog Member

Ok Old brass,I cant let you take all the heat by yourself .I too only own one marlin in my collection at this time as I sold two others earlier this year.It is my 1955 rc n 35 rem.To be totally honest its the only one I need .Ive had deer that I have pointed this rifle at comit suicide just to spare themselves the agony of experiencing it wrath of destruction.

12. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Finally the calvary has arrived, thanx deerhog, my 30-30 may be the only one I need also, every animal I pointed it at is deceased...

13. Rocker59

Rocker59 Member

Maybe I'm a litlle "odd"

I have a few, but my favorite (when it's not hunting season & the 95 will rule the day) most of the time is NOT A MARLIN LEVER....

...it's my 1991 Camp Carbine .45 ACP. Go figure. A famous lever manufacturer makes a simple blowback .45 semi auto carbine and I love it. Wasn't a big hit...no longer made, but heck, it's something I wanted...had to have it.

I think I like it because it has a wood stock & reminds me of older carbines..WW II vintage. It's a blast to shoot. Ammo is relatively cheap. And it has enough punch to take coyotes...if you hunt smart and keep shots @ 50 yards or less.

So maybe I'm odd.

14. turkeyoak

turkeyoak Member

I've only got 1 Marlin, a 1988 Marlin 30AS in .30-30 of course. It is my favorite, too.
    I've been looking at a couple more. I am looking for a used Marlin 60 .22 but I want the one with the squirrel stamped on it. I am also looking at a guide rifle to take on a trip to Alaska. I'd love a 39 but they are out of my price range new and I haven't found anyone willing to sell and older one.
    It's only one now, but I'm working on it.

15. turkeyoak

turkeyoak Member

Ideally my next gun would be a Marlin lever in .357 and a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk to go with it.

16. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

I only have 3 Marlin Levers a 1894C in 38/357 Mag Pre Safety Very Accurate/ 1895 GS 45-70 again Very Accurate/ Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55 of which I still need to work on a load. But I now have in my hands some Starline Long Brass in 38-55 :). With these three I feel I am covered as far as Levers go and they are True MARLINS. :)

One Marlin XL-7 as from the factory in 30-06
    And one Custom Marlin XL-7 made into a 35 Whelen. It THUMPS Game HARD. :)

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

turkey, i've got an older M60, glenfield marlin, great shooting 22 rifle. just keep your eye open at the pawn shops and gun stores, as they appear from time to time, and usually pretty cheap. mine was bought for $75 + tax, and looked like crap, but functioned perfectly. i refinished it, added a scope i had from another rifle, looks great now and shoots good too.

jester, i am really liking the XL7 you rechambered in 35 whelen, and would like some more information on how you did it. you and i were discussing my XS7 in 7mm-08 a while back and now i am wanting to make the plunge into going ahead and doing it. did you do it yourself and what tools do i need to get this done? thanks.

18. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

It was done by Dangerous Dan. If you have an XS that is a short action which would work great for a .358 Winchester.

The receiver threads and barrel nut are the same as Savage. So the tools you need to remove a barrel from a Savage is the same as for the Marlin which is a big plus.

You can use a barrel made for the Savage on a Marlin but most times one will have to have a few thousands cut from the receiver end to head space correctly on the Marlin.

From there it depends on how far you wish to go. You can use your factory stock if you so wish and just open up the barrel channel in order to accept the new barrel if need be. I would also get a metal trigger guard on it as well.

Or you can get a Laminate stock from Boyd's. If you are going to use a Mag Contour barrel as I did then you will need to use the Boyd's Light Thumb Hole stock as the others do not have enough meat in the fore end to clearance for the thicker barrel.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Here is a couple of write ups on the build.

First is the Marlin XL-7 to 35 Whelen --> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91686

Second is a Stevens / Savage to 358 Winchester -->
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=115528&highlight=Whelen

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  19. PackinPreacher

PackinPreacher Well-Known Member

Yepper!:rolleyes:

20. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

You know Olddbrass, a fellow once told me to be aware of the man who has only one gun because he probably knows how to use it. I've got a safe full of guns and still seem to pull out the same two or three when I go to the range.