Other Marlin Bolt Action Rifles.

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by axxe55, Feb 16, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

does anyone have any experiance with some of Marlin's older bolt action rifles?

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i have heard a little about the M-7 rifle, but have fail to locate much information or pictures of one yet. i haven't even seen one even for sale on any of the auction sites either. are they rare? low production? just curious about them.

3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Try MR-7, might have better results ;)

Ok, this little beauty was made from 1996 until the invention of the X7 platform...
    Chambered in .270 Win & .30-06, w/4-shot box-magazine & 22" button-rifled barrel with Walnut Stock.
    Weight-7#, 9.5oz & 43.31" overall.
    Factory installed recoil pad & sling swivels...along with a Jeweled Bolt...

The MR-7B had a Birch Stock & the same general features, and was introduced in 1998.

This little rascal was at first an engineering exercise, which turned out better than anyone expected...and was put on the market.
    Shortly after, some sharp lad thought up the Pro-Fire Trigger & a few other cost-saving tricks & tweaks like factory pillar bedding & fluted bolt...
    so the MR-7 was discontinued...and the X-7 series was born!

IF you can find one, expect to cough up about $400-700, depending on condition...if you find one for less, BUY IT FAST!!

By all reports, it was a heck of a rifle...dead nuts precise. Worth $400 easy :)

There are FOUR on GB...
    including this one currently at $222...Reserve Not Met...
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=283154786
    Two more at $400...
    and one at $1499.99, which I do not expect to sell...

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks Big Shreck! i knew i could count on you to know about them! that may be where i messed up in trying to get information, M-7 instead of MR-7!

5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

So, didja get one?? :)

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i haven't found any yet! seems to me those rifles are as rare as hen's teeth! still looking from time to time though. possibly one of these days when i get a chance to go to the big gun show in Houston Texas, i will try looking for one.

best i can tell, the MR-7 is the forerunner of the X7 series of rifles. i saw a few of the MR-7's and they are a really good looking rifle, but prices are a bit high on the very few that i have found for sale.

7. h2opumper

h2opumper New Member

I've done some research on the MR-7. I believe they were only made for about 4 years, up until 1999. Initially they were chambered in 25-06, 270, and 30-06; a 280 was introduced in the last year or two. Some models had a hinged floor plate and some a blind box magazine. Open sights I believe were also optional. The safety was similar to the Winchester being that it was a three position on the bolt. All reports were that they were very good rifles, but just went away with no explanation. Some rumors imply that there were some patent infringements. They were also a push-feed gun. The 280 is the rarest, then the 25-06, most were produced as a 270 or 30-06.
    The X series of rifles have nothing based on the MR-7's in their design. The X guns have the pro-fire trigger, barrel nut design and the safety is all different.
    I love my X guns, but would like to put a MR-7 in my safe at some point, but for those that have one and know what they are all about, it might be a tough job to get someone to part ways with theirs.

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

well i seen one today at the gun show. MR-7 in 270. walnut stock and blued finish. asking price was $400. rifle was in very good to excellent condition and seemed to be worth the asking price. problem, well it always seems that when ther is a good deal to be had such as this, i am on the short end of money! but i did hold it and look it over, the bolt has the shroud mounted safet similar to the Winchester M70, had aperture rear sight and a front ramp sight, walnut stock with checkering, and shouldered very nicely. yes this is the very first one i have ever seen in person. i will definately be on the hunt for one now. not even going to be picky about caliber, but that 280 Remington would be super nice to add with my Ruger M77V in 280!

9. JohnK

JohnK New Member

How old are you looking to go? The MR-7's are one of Marlin's better bolt action rifles produced. They took ideas of Winchester, Browning and some of the other rifle manufacturers and put the best of all of them into one Marlin rifle. I've had several of them in my collection and finally sold all but the MR-7 in 280 caliber.

Then if you want to go back further. There's the Model 455 in 30-06. That is also a great shooter. Very accurate and wasn't totally produced by Marlin. The action was bought from the FN Mauser company with a Sako trigger group inside with Marlin adding there barrel and stock to create a great rifle.

Then there's the Model 322 or 422 in .222 caliber. Another nice creation using parts from other companies. Marlin used the Sako action and put the Marlin barrel with micro-groove rifling on it.They also used there own stock. The 322 didn't hold up well to the high velocity ammo and was stopped being produced. Marlin didn't give up, they modified the barrel making it in a harder steel which would hold up to the ammo and changed the model to the Varmint King or Model 422.

I own the MR-7, 455 and 422 which are all keepers to me. Rock solid and I doubt I would need another rifle. EXCEPT.... I am still looking for the Model 455 in .308 caliber!! I heard that they made a few and I will find one somewhere!!

So if you ever see one, let me know!!

10. eskimojoe27

eskimojoe27 New Member

mr-7b

I own a mr-7b 30-06