Pair of 60's

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by 01Sporty, Dec 10, 2012.

1. 01Sporty

01Sporty Active Member

I just finished these two Model 60's.

The Ducks Unlimited is going to be a Christmas present for my father-in-law.

I put together an album for anyone that likes a lot of pictures. It can be viewed here.

Hope you enjoy it.

Edit: X10 Hosting killed my webpage. Not even an email.
    Guess they don't like Marlins.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Awesome lookin' pair of 60's my friend...!!

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

4. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Wow those are beautiful.

5. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Nice pair. Is the SS model a carbon fiber stock or is it dipped? I am working on two 60's now as well. What did you do to them... details!!!

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Very nice pair of 60's.
    And - Welcome to the Forum.
    Your father-in-law should be very pleased with the Ducks Unlimited. I believe that is the first one that I've seen. I would think that they are not very common.

7. 01Sporty

01Sporty Active Member

Here's what the Ducks Unlimited looks like from the factory: Click Here
    From the factory, the carbon fiber looks rather fake. The addition of finish makes it much more realistic. It has fooled a couple of rather knowledgeable people.

I used hand rubbed acrylic lacquer on both. There's probably 12 coats on the polymer stock and 15 or better on the walnut. Wood can really soak it up. Lacquer drys so fast you can put on several coats at a time. Let it sit a day or two then block sand. If you break through anywhere - stop. Repeat. When you can sand it completely out, put another several layers on then sand one more time. 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit. By the time you get to the 2000 grit it will have a sheen about like an oil finish but much smoother. Then you hit it with some rubbing compound for a final polish. It looks like it's a mile deep but, in reality, lacquer is very thin especially since most of it has been sanded off. A bit chipped by the fore stock screw and it's about 2 mil.

As a practical matter, it would be much more sensible to just take it to an auto body shop and have them clear coat it with an automotive clear. That catalyzing paint is extremely tough and can be rubbed out to achieve a warmth nearly as good as lacquer.

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info.
    That is a very beautiful rifle with an interesting history.
    Thanks for the tips on refinishing.
    What is inscribed on the receiver of the wood stock 60????

9. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Those are some slick guns!! Great job!

10. 01Sporty

01Sporty Active Member

It's a 50th Anniversary model.

I should have mentioned, if you click on any of the pictures in the album they will open in another window. Click again and they will go to full size. I think you can read the inscription in the last two photos.

11. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Those are very nice, anyone would be proud to own something like that...great work

12. 01Sporty

01Sporty Active Member

Thanks, definitely a fun project.

I think as much as the external aesthetic I came to appreciate the internal workings of the 60. It really doesn't take that much work to make them as smooth and crisp as an expensive rifle. Easy to see why more of them have been made than any other rifle.