Pawn Shops

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Shooter, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I see a lot of you guys are finding firearms in Pawn Shops.

Do you have one you go to consistently? Do you ever sell or trade them?

I'm wondering as my local shops never have anything worth buying so I always walk out disappointed.

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

there are only two pawn shops in the town i live near that carry firearms. one of them is so overpriced and won't even haggle at all. i pretty much don't even go in there anymore. the other one, they are pretty cool, will haggle at least on used, not a lot on the new firearms. little over a month ago, i bought a used Remington M700 in 270 for $360+ tax, they were asking $445 for it. cosmetically, it was hideous, but the bore was in good condition, and the action was very smooth. Joe, the guy that usually works the gun counter, is super nice guy and easy to deal with. i have bought several firearms from them and will continue to. they have a 20ga O/U that might follow me home this week, if we can do some dealing! last weekend when i was there, a customer that Joe knows, has a BIL that has a S&W M686 6" barreled DC made in the mid 90's that i might be able to get for a reasonable price.

3. trenor

trenor Member

I have not taken that into consideration quite frankly as I am not that used to buying stuff that are already put for selling by another party, for some reason.

Though it would be pretty easy to spot which ones are still in great condition, against those which will probably be just good for display and some playing around.

The good thing about those shops though is that you will be able to haggle for prices as compared to getting a standard offer in shops.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

trenor, one of the reasons i don't shop any chain store for guns is because they don't haggle. whatever price they have on the tag is what you will pay, be it Wal-Mart, Cabela's, Gander Mountain or whoever.

just last week i went to my LGS to pick up a pistol i had put on layaway, well i spotted a Winchester M94AE in absolute mint condition, and after careful inspection, also never fired either, for $299, well i would have given that, but i ended up paying $260+ tax. no way any of the big chain store would have done that. also when dealing with a LGS or a pawn shop that does a lot of gun sales, build a relationship with them, over time they will start to give you great deals and will also keep you in mind when something comes along that you are looking for. this also happened to me last week at the same store. i have been on the lookout for a decent bolt action rifle in 280 Rem. for many years, that caliber just isn't very common around here, well my LGS traded for one in a Ruger M77V in that caliber with me in mind, and yes i put that one on layaway too!

5. Shooter

I won't deal with deal with a Pawn shop with fixed prices. It bothers me that the haggled to get it but wont haggle to sell it.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

I've been to two pawn shops in my area...seedy little places with over-priced hunks of metal. Nothing worth even handling so far...

7. Shooter

Seems we have the same issue.

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

there are two pawn shops in our town and one of them, just won't deal at all on their stuff. the other, i have made some decent deals on firearms there.

9. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I use a pawn shop to handle my firearm transfers that I buy on auction sites. They are good people, but all the firearms that get pawned there are very common models. His prices are decent, but the last thing I need is another plain Jane .30-30.

10. Shooter

I've only seen low end models and the occasional SKS at my shops.

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the one pawn shop i deal with has a decent selection of used rifles. when i go there, i'm usually looking for used rifles anyways. generally if i buy new, i use my LGS which is about 35 miles from the house. i recently bought a Remington M700 in 270 about a month or so ago. and got a pretty decent deal on it.

12. Shooter

I'm headed out this afternoon to run errands and see what the Pawn shops have to offer.

13. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Pawn shops I heard of them,thats the place where everybody gets a good deal on firearms but me!!!!!! :mad:

14. Shooter

We will see how my evening goes. I may be in the same boat as you.

15. Kentucky_Transplant

Kentucky_Transplant Active Member

I tend to visit our local pawn shops every few weeks. I'm not in to high dollar stuff. One friend says I'm after quantity not quality. But I look for the imperfections because they are usually quite a bit cheaper
    Last summer I picked up a Cannon Breech shotgun with a 32" barrel. The owner had $100 and offered it to me for $50. I decided I was going to use it for "Spot Shoots". At my first shoot a guy looked it over and I told him I was going to refinish the stock & re-blue it. He proceeds to tell me how it will decrease the value. How can restoring decrease it muck more than $50?? Well the "Damage" has been done! It's the bottom gun in my profile pic.

BTW: It's already won 2 rounds.......

Kelly
    Henderson, Kentucky

16. Shooter

Well I went to a couple last night. They were horrible as always.

Nothing even close to what I was looking for and the smell in both places was horrible.

I'm sure it was from them not running their AC ever. It was hot and muggy. Not a good combo.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

so what are you looking for? or like me, not for sure, but you'll know it when you see it! some of my favorites wer found this way.

18. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I did find my source for primers and powders at a local pawn shop. saving on shipping and hazmat fees. I paid under $4 out the door for large rifle primers :D

19. Shooter

Right now a stationary bike, but I'm always looking for good deals on firearms.

20. Shooter

Wish me luck. Heading back out tonight.

I don't have a lot of time so I'm only hitting up places I haven't done before.

I'm already dreading it.