"Point Shooting"

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SWO1, Jan 4, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Yesterday with the new .38 tired it after a long time. The subject was brought up by grewhawk50 on another thread with some good discussion and articles.

My result after a LONG absense from the form was groups at DA with the revolver were averaging 4" low from intended point of impact at both 3 and 7 yards. I thought about it a lot last night and was back at it again today.

Took out 3 guns, the H&R 4" .22 revolver, the Armscor 4" .38 revolver, and the 5" Hi Point .40 auto. Today used the B-27 full sillouite target, top of the head at 6'. Interesting results.

The .22 with the combat stance was DEADLY. Groups at 3 and 7 yards could be covered with a saucer....dead center. Shot 4 cylenders of 9 shots each from both yardages.

First cylender with the .38 had a better group than yesterday but was still low. I had an Itea......Grip Pressure....although the recoil on the .38 is very light I still apply a lot firmer grip than on the .22. I eased up on the pressure.....AND THE GROUPS CAME UP....A good 2". After 3 series of 5 rounds the groups were still there.

Switched to the .40 auto. Its a lot bigger gun. the recoil isnt any more than the .38. Shot the first mag with normal grip.....about 4-5" low. Again eased up on the grip and UP THEY CAME. I have to watch it with the auto. The slide action has a lot more muzzle climb than a revolver any less pressure with the grip and it starts to want to jump out of my grip. But the .40 does shoot a tighter group than the .38.

I feel I'm making progress. With a little more than a 100 rds. down range with the combat stance...both eyes open and not using sights, shooting low 10s and 9s. An improvement over low 9s and 8s from yesterday.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the range report.

3. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the grip tip

You may have helped with my problem. My shots always seem to be low with my NM Blackhawk 45Colt/45 ACP, my Hi Point 9mm and Beretta U22 Neos 6" .22 cal. ALWAYS low. I can't try them out tonight as it is getting dark, and I know I won't sleep tonight worth a crap because I will be stewing because it is too dark to shoot and the neighbors are trying to sleep.

Looks like I have some range work ahead now though. Thanks for giving me some direction. I been usin KY windage and Arkansas elevation.

4. SWO1

I will throw this in also. This morning before I went out I got in front of the full length mirror in the bedroom and assumed a stance. Looking over at my reflection I could tell my muzzle was a little low. This was before shooting the .22 and my thoughts of grip pressure. I thought my posture was a little slumpted from the waist up, causing my sholders and therefore my extended arms to not be level. I tried throwing my sholders back more but that tended to draw in my arms and unlock my elbows. So instead I threw out my hips toward the target and that tended also to bring up my muzzle without changing my elbows. I also tried this on the range but it only takes a very subtle hip shift to elevate the gun. I tended to over shift forward and raise the groups to much. Also it tended to put me in a lower crouch than was comfortable. will have to practice both methods more.

5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I had a .357 taurus with a 6 inch barrel that I couldn`t hit the inside of a barn with, but loaded with .38 it was a tack driver...explain that one :eek:

6. SWO1

Different guns like different rounds. My daughters taurus .357 is ok with all .38s but with Rem UMC +ps its GREAT. I will throw those thru the crono and try and match performance with reloads.

My .40 also shoots the bigger 180gr JHPs a lot better than the lighter and faster rounds.