Proper fit for a 1895g

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by murph41, Dec 27, 2014.

1. murph41

murph41 Active Member

I got my guide gun for Christmas. I noticed it has a 13.5" length of pull. That's fine, I have multiple rifles like that. The 300 grain federal powershok's I've been feeding it don't kick that bad. I don't have to worry about my thumb hitting my face. I'm starting to get into bigger loads (starting with Hornady leverevolution 325 grain) and I'm worried about my thumb hitting my face during recoil. I'm going to put a burris fastfire on it, so I don't need to worry about eye relief.

1. I prefer a 14" length of pull on shotguns. If a 14" shotgun fits me, will 14" work on my guide gun?

2. What is the recoil like with the leverevolution ammo?

3. HOW GOOD IS THE 1895 MARLIN PACHMAYR PRE-FIT PAD?

4. HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE FOR ME TO GRIND A LIMBSAVER PAD TO FIT MY RIFLE just using normal sandpaper?

2. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Firstly, Season's Greatings to you.

Now to answer your questions
    1) Not sure about this one, what you need to do is try cycling the 1985, and see how it fits, and feels.
    Example.... I put a patchmayer pad on my .270 Remington 700, but nothing on my .444 marlin 1895.
    It depends how easy it comes up, in the field.

2) I can shoot an 1895 in a 45-70 using 325gr Leverevolution ammo all day. You should have no issues with it, if you use a Shotgun. Then again I am not sensitive to recoil

3) Not sure !

4) I have fitted 2 Pachmayr pads now, the other to a 6.5x55 Sweedish Mauser, (again, just because it makes the rifle fit my style better) Each time I have used a linishing belt, and masking tape, to protect the Wooden Stocks.
    I would not use sandpaper, it's way too slow, and I don't believe it would come up s neat a fit, as what a linishing belt would do.

Hope this helps ?

Cheers
    Bucky

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

^^^^^ Have to agree with Bucky. ^^^^^

I wouldn't trust my skills with a belt sander being even close to a new pre-finished wood stock.
    However, there is always the option of a Limbsaver Slip-On Pad.
    My Trap Gun is about 3/4" too short and I have tried adding a shim plate but then the length is fixed. I've found the Slip-On Pad useful in the warmer months for added length but then I take it off for winter months because of having extra layers of clothes. Taking it off also has a benefit when hunting because of a quicker mount.
    Just be sure to take it off the stock when stored. It will discolor the stock over time. Just put it back on when needed.
    Just a suggestion.

4. murph41

murph41 Active Member

I use a Beartooth recoil pad / lop kit. It's a neoprene slip-on with foam spacers of various lengths. It comes in black, brown, and two camo patterns, waterfowl and woodland (both realtree, I don't remember the names). I've left it on a gun all year before and it doesn't screw up a wood gun like rubber will. You can get one on amazon for $18 + s/h. Excellent recoil pad.

5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

murf41
    That Beartooth recoil pad seems the plan.