Put the old 1939 Marlin ( Sears Ranger ) in the shop !

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by SWO1, Apr 15, 2014.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Time to get it straightened out to shoot as a Sporter in Bench Rest. From all I can find out it is a Marlin, Made for Sears. According to pics and descriptions it is a 38 or 39 year vintage. Somebody drilled and tapped it WAY OFF CENTER. Also had a ruger 10/22 base which was JB welded to the receiver because its not the correct contour. When I first got it it shot real well, just not enough windage to get on center. Also the base was a little loose so don't know how well it is gonna shot if He can straighten it out.

2. SWO1

Gunsmith called me yesterday. The Old 39 vintage Ranger ( Marlin 80 ) is ready. I will pick it up from the LGS today. He said he milled and mounted a set of Weaver bases and mounted a scope he had. It lined up with the bore sighter but had to us a lot of the 32 clicks of windage to get it to center. Said to mount my target scope and see if it was OK. If not he would mill some more of the base and get it right. If I do send it back leave my scope on so he can make sure. I will mount a Simmons 24X target scope that has 64 clicks and try it out. I will center the cross hairs and use Fed Auto Match to sight it in. If all goes ok then I go to "Ammo Testing" to see what it likes. It will be used for Bench Rest (Sporter Class) If it dosnt work out I have $60 in the gun plus whatever the bases are. With the stock trigger (about a 10 ton pull) can always use it for a trainer or Tree Rat gathering.

3. SWO1

Mounted the scope on the 39 Ranger. I used a different Simmons 24X, one with more clicks. Using all the left adjustment I could only get it to within 5" of center. So I took it back with my scope on and crosshairs centered in scope. With the cross hairs centered at "0" it shoots 11.5" right ...... :(

I started with Federal Auto Match and they shot like a lowbase 20 Gauge with #9 shot. Switched to CCI Standard Vel and instantly started connecting the shot holes. I was at 25 yds off a wobbly rest and not paying attention to the wind. Just wanted to see if it could be centered. Good news is the Old Girl is a SHOOTER. Put about 80 rds in 5 shot groups and averaged under .450", best being .334".

I sent 100 rds of the CCI with it as they shoot to same POI as Midas, ELEY, and RWS.