Rabbits are eating my beans

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by hombre243, Jun 6, 2013.

1. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Tomorrow night one of them is gonna get to know real good just how a bean feels.:D

2. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

Choot 'em Hombre!!:D

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Hasenpfeffer for dinner

4. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Be very quite......wabbits

5. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

them wascally wabbits tore into mine a couple yrs ago. along with the squash blossoms, peas and assorted lettuces. my neighbours pellet gun fixed that problem . ... till his wife found out lol

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I had that problem once.......started putting moth balls around my garden and never had that problem again ;). GO GET "EM HOMBRE!!!!! :D

7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

.22 is more fun than mothballs! lol

8. hombre243

Ooooooooooooo nooooo!`

I will never, ever waste a mothball on a wabbit. In fact, I grew the beans for a reason. Wabbi' wuv beans. I need the practice.

Now, I do not know how this happened but...I shot that waskolly wabbit and when I cleaned him I did not find the bullet hole and there was no blood on the body...anywhere. I use a pair of shears to clean them, and it is possible that when I cut off the head I also cut through the bullet hole and so did not see the wound. There was some clotting around where I made the cut so I am thinking I hit just to the side of where I was aiming. I was aiming for the eye and hit the neck? I cannot say for sure but he was floppin like it was a head shot and he is now in the freezer. I have company coming in a couple weeks and he wants wabbit. I aim to please. I just hope my aim continues to be good enough.

I love it when my wabbits and squirrels come home with no visible COD.

Reminds me of the little forked buck I got in 86...dressed at 178. I looked for that bullet hole too but did not find it without great effort. Finally when I retraced the shot I noticed a broken twig/limb. The bullet may have deflected so I looked in un-obvious places for an entry or exit would.

I rolled him over on his back and heard a squishy sound and then I saw blood on the side of his head. Also some fluffy white stuff.

It seems that the 20 ga slug deflected off that limb and entered the left eye, dead center, and exited the right ear. There was no broken skin anywhere. I had a perfectly clean wound free carcass.

I showed a shootin buddy and he couldn't figure it out until I showed him. His response: Wow...wonder what was the last thing that crossed his mind?

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

That reminds me of a squirrel I shot once.I had the .22 sighted in perfect and always aimed and hit them in either an eye or ear.One that I aimed for the ear I couldn't find the exit hole.After a few minutes a drop of blood came out of the other ear,in 1 ear and out the other :D.

10. hombre243

Funny

When I was 16 and just old enough to drive and hunt alone I took my little brother out squirrel hunting. He asked a LOT of questions and the one I liked best was...what is the best gun for squirrels and rabbits. (He would be able to get a gun as long as I promised my dad I would look out for him and take him with me once in awhile, but under NO circumstances was he to have access to his gun until he was 16...2 years away. We slapped hands and spit on the ground and the deal was sealed and he got a Marlin 22 carbine...whatever model that was. It was about 1967-68.

Anyway, I told him the best gun for squirrels and rabbits was a .17 cal Javelina. I know the velocity was outrageous...over 4000 fps, if my memory serves.

He asked why that was the best and I told him it goes through a rabbit or squirrel so fast it doesn't even leave a hole.
    Don't know if he really believed me or not but I know it was on his mind when I told him about the deer I killed with one shot and couldn't find the hole.:D

11. hombre243

My earlier Model 60

I did a few miraculous shots too. One 70-80 yard shot was a showoff shot I did not expect to make. My friend and I were sitting on a hillside in a hickory grove and a squirrel did a Kilroy in the top of a lightning struck rotten oak at 70-80 yards. My friend said he couldn't find him in his scope so I asked him to allow me to impress him. He said BS...Be my guest. $20 says there aint no squirrel there ad you can't hit him anyway. I said it would be stupid for me to bet if there wasn't any squirrel there.
    I hit him in the nose and split the skull all the way back. Looked like a Suzy Q turned on edge. He still doesn't believe me and that was back in the early 70's.

12. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Even a blind pig will get a few acorns in his lifetime! lol