rangefinders?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Rich1028, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Seems to be a good one Rich....I have the Bushnell which I got at Wal-Mart for under $100. Good +/- 1 yard to 750. Works great. Same 9 volt Batt for 3 years now. I range trees from my deer stands for reference points, which I then mark with colered tape. However it does say with mine only guarenteed distance to 350 on deer sized targets. If I was shooting over 200 yards in hilly/mountainous country believe I would have an ARC compesator model. Bow hunders use them a lot. Shooting Up or Down grade does affect the point of impact but for rifle dosnt really come into play under 200....I dont think.

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

That Simmons looks like a good deal.
    I have a Bushnell Trophy that works well for all intents & purposes.
    Except - the button to activate is really hard to push. Takes a lot of pressure to get it to work. It could just be the one that I have and not typical of that make/model. With that said, I won't buy another one without testing it first.

SWO1 - you brought up an interesting point about rifles and bullet arc. Rather than hijack the thread, I'll start another.

4. SWO1

I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro 450. Only one BIG button on the side to push. But if I dont push "Straight in" it also dosnt seem to want to work...

I looked up laser range finders and a lot of Interesting comments about them. Seems a lot of people dont know the proper use of them. Some Real winners:

Wont read under 15 yards
    Wont read thru bushes
    Cant pick up a golf flag/stick...useless
    If it aint a Ziss it aint worth %$##
    Deer dont stay put long enough to use it

5. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I think mine is a Bushnell and I love it. It has archery and rifle functions, a ballistic computer with data for most popular rounds, and an angle compensator that automatically gives horizontal distance and angle. It also has a target or background function for long distance ranging. If in target mode it will pick the target out from the background and give data. In background mode it will give a distance based on the average of the hits it gets. It was about 150 from Midway.

Confirmed: It's a Bushnell Scout 1000. Used it today.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  6. Rich1028

well guys I picked up the Simmons yesterday.
    I went another store and checked out a few more before going to the one that had the one I was looking at,I liked the Simmons the best.
    been outside looking at trees and stuff in the yard.

7. SWO1

Good purchase Rich. Am sure you will find it helps a lot. Can get all kinds of useful info from it. ENJOY !!

8. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

that's funny, all the guys that I know who carry, them forget to use them, when in the field (buck fever). "I saw the buck and forgot I had it!" is the usual quote.

9. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

To a point, there is truth in what you say. At least in my case, that would be true most of the time.
    Therefore, when I set up in my stand or blind, I range objects in my field of view as a reference and commit them to memory. So from that standpoint, I have found rangefinders to be useful.
    Just my 2 cents.

10. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

makes sense to me! most of my hunting is stalk hunting clear cuts on timber company land.

11. Rich1028

I used it a lot.
    and being new to this hunting and such,I had no Idea how really far away things are.
    take this pic here...it shows my carrot out just past the 100 yard mark,that way I knew right from the blind how far out the deer would be,if they ever came around.
    I made up different markings for different distances.
    75 yards,100 yards,and 150 yards.
    [​IMG]

these where out the day before on my corn line
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  12. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

smart trick Rich !