Recommendations for a Lever rifle in a pistol caliber?

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by NEOHunter, Feb 18, 2014.

1. NEOHunter

NEOHunter Member

The state of Ohio is considering allowing the use of rifles that use pistol cartridges for deer hunting in 2014, currently we can only use shotguns, muzzleloaders and handguns for our gun season. The proposed rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. The calibers they may allow are 357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson. I have no experience with any of these calibers and I would like recommendations on which caliber would be good for me to watch for a good used rifle in to add to my Marlin collection which I started earlier this year with the purchase of a (pre Remington buyout)336 in30-30 which I really like. I would like to find a caliber that should be relatively easy to find ammo for and I don't want to go with a bigger caliber than needed for deer sized game. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

2. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

I have a Rossi/Puma in .454 casull and it is a real fun rifle to shoot and I have no worry it will drop anything I encounter... 0203131716.jpg

3. Marlindude

Marlindude Well-Known Member

I like the 357 magnum/38 special combo. You can have a sidearm and lever action that shoots both. I wouldn't know about taking down a buck but for me is just plain fun!
    Good luck with your choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

4. jbaker30

jbaker30 Active Member

Hey there Dutchs, I personally hunt with my 1894CB 44mag or my 1895GS 45-70. I think the 44mag is probably the better choice. Ammo is easy to find, you can shoot 44specials, and you can carry a 44mag pistol as back up. I also have a 1894 in 357mag, but don't hunt deer with it. The 44mag does a better job on Deer sized game IMHO.
    JB

5. DUTCHS

.44 mag is a really nice caliber..The Puma shoots .45 LC also which is not real hard to find and I do have the 1895 GBL..45-70 for the heavy lifting:D I love shooting any of them and have great confidence in the ability to drop whatever may come their way...

6. wrestling189

wrestling189 Member

I would use a 44 mag. Golden boy with a blued octagon barrell really really nice looking and very powerfull round definantly will knock a deer down and you really accurate at atleast two hundred yards

7. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

44 mag would be my choice..you could plink away with 44 special to

8. UT45-70

UT45-70 Member

I don't think the Puma is available in 45LC, but it is available in 45 Colt! (so I doubt if you could even find one in 45LC) I'm not even sure if there is such a cartridge as 45LC or 45 Long Colt?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  9. UT45-70

UT45-70 Member

I don't know why Ohio lists all those as pistol cartridges? I'm pretty sure some of those are actually rifle cartridges, although all are straight walled cartridges.

I'm already getting my guide gun 45-70 ready. Just ordered a XS Lever Rail with ghost ring, and deciding on a scope.

Thanks to everyone here that has recommended different mounts, scopes, and peep sights. It is helping me in my decision process.

Tom

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  10. DUTCHS

The .45 Colt cartridge is a handgun cartridge dating to 1872. It began as a black-powder revolver round developed for the Colt Single Action Army revolver, but is offered as a magnum-level, handgun hunting round in modern usage. This cartridge was adopted by the U.S. Army in 1873 and served as the official US military handgun cartridge for 19 years. It is sometimes, although incorrectly, referred to as .45 Long Colt or .45LC, to differentiate it from the shorter .45 Schofield, as both were used by the army at the same period of time[1]

11. UT45-70

UT45-70 Member

Your description/history of the 45 Colt seems right on! I'm amazed that the Ohio proposal listed both the 45 Colt, and the non existent 45 Long Colt as 2 different proposed legal cartridges for deer hunting. They might as well change the terminology from deer with antlers to deer with horns! And while they're at it, how many round clips allowed, vs magazines? Just because people use incorrect terms doesn't mean that the Ohio Division of Wildlife should follow suit.
    Horns are not antlers. Clips are not magazines, and 45 Colt exists, while 45 Long Colt does not! Proper terminology should be expected at the level of people that are proposing and making our regulations. And listing all the proposed cartridges as pistol cartridges is not accurate, and should just be listed as straight walled cartridges. They are loosing their credibility.