Residue left behind after tumble cleaning ?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Bucky, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Guys
    My last batch of tumbled brass has got "red dust" inside them all.
    I usually deprime them after tumbling.
    Not sure weather I should wash the brass, or try and blow the rest of the dust out of them.

Wondering if minutes amounts of tumbling media will upset final Ballistics, with nothing further than 350-400mts

All comments will be much appreciated

Cheers
    Bucky

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I would use a new q tip for each case and swab out all the red dust. Use mama's finger nail polish remover to get all that red stuff out. Sounds like rouge powder. Don't blow it out because if you get any on your lips she will know you have been into her makeup bag.:p

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

hot water, dawn dish soap and vinegar. put in coffee can and shake

4. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Thats a good brew, oldbrass

Problem is that, I tried that mixture, and, even with quick drying, the brass goes from bright shinny and smooth, and in 2 weeks it's blotchy and rough, which then roughens up feeding rounds into rifle.
    I need to stop the problem during tumbling.

:mad:I know for sure that it's time to chuck out that batch of media.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  5. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Bucky, what kind of media were you using? Maybe the residue is from polishing compound that the media is coated with. If it isnt sticking to the case I would just deprime and resize and shake out the dust. If it is sticky or caking inside the case you may need to use the best method to remove the stuff. If it is a rouge type powder or polish then only clean media will remove it, or a solvent. I don't know about soap and water but that is always the cheapest first thing to try.

6. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Hombre
    I use Lynam media, but as I said before, it maybe just "buggered" !
    So it's "out with the old, and in with the new", ( Lynan, corn cob) then will see if that helps.

That's not gunna happen for 5 or 6 days, as we are off camping this afternoon, and back Sunday afternoon

7. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Wish I could spell tooooooooo

8. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I also changed from the Lyman red with rouge to Corn cob media. Now instead of red dust in the cases have light brown dust......... :rolleyes:

I started washing them in dish soap and hot water, dried, and then loaded. Havnt had any bad tarnishing and for sure no rough areas. Some done last year are still good and smooth.

9. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Will walnut bedding from pet supply work it the same stuff at half the price I have heard anyways

10. Nogoat

Nogoat Well-Known Member

I use the Lyman corn, just dust to blow out with air gun or wipe off.

11. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Havnt used it but have read that it polishes better than corncob. A little more abrasive. And yes ....... get it from PETSMART .....LOL

As an after thought I should have saved all those Walnut Shells when we cracked and picked out all the Walnut meats last week and gave it a try.

12. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

One thing that I have done since last using the Tumbler, is to install a timer, on the tumbler lead.
    Boy, has that made a difference.
    It's just a "cheap one" and I just do 1
    setting for 2hrs, and that seems to be enuf...., mind you it's a simple enuf task to wind it around and re-set the timer for another "whatever" ?

One of the better things I managed to do in 2014