Review on the "NEW" Rem. 770

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by SWO1, Oct 8, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Neighbor brought over his new 770 in .308 yesterday afternoon and wanted it sighted in. I have the 770 in .243 youth model and it has been a good little gun for about 4 years now. Took it to the 75 yard bench and heres how it went:

First off looking thru the scope noticed it was a little fuzzy around the edges of the sight picture. Also even tho its supposed to be a 3X9 40mm it sure didnt look like 9X magnifaction. There is No name or brand on the tube and each ring only has 1 screw holding it.

The bolt is REALLY tight and rough, more so than mine. Around the back of the action where the bolt slide in there is what seems to be a plastic or hard rubber sleave, it aint metal. Once you remove the bolt it is hard to get back in.

They say the removable box magizine has been redesigned with a better latch. It is different than mine for sure.

Shooting Winchester 180 gr soft points (I hate Win Ammo) it only took 4 shots to get within 1" of center with about a 1" group.

On the 4th shot ALL THE INNERDS OF THE MAGIZINE FELL OUT ONTO THE BENCH......:eek: The metal magizine itself stayed in (so I guess the new latch worked) just the spring, follower, and rubber cap from the bottom, and another part I dont know what its for fell out. We tried to reassemble it to no avail, wouldnt stay together.

At this point I noticed the scope rings had worked loose. Took the gun to the shop and remounted the scope. It was mounted to far forward anyway. Its still fuzzy.

On return to the bench put another round in the chamber, with out the Magizine, and fired. Looked back thru the scope and........NOTHING, the cross hairs were gone and the picture was so blurry you could barley make out the target frame. I advised him to return the gun and get something else. WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP !!

Said if it was me would get something without the package scope and an Internal magizine. Hope they will make good on it for him. The gun itself didnt shoot bad. While at the shop checked the trigger pull and it was at just a little over 4lbs. not bad for hunting.

The NEW magizine is the worst Ive ever seen. The scope they put on it is JUNK.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Not a thumbs up review huh !?

3. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Bit of a shame Mate

My new Remington 700 is a ripper !
    Nice and smooth, mind you she kicks a bit, but not an issue.
    Neither is my 270 Remington CDL

4. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

OopsI had better read the posts a little better next time
    Sorry

5. SWO1

I will say this about Remington rifles. Some of if not the finest made, depending on the model. Even in the model 770, although the barrell is pressed in, has button rifleing making them Super Accurate. Remington bolts are still the standard for their locking system. And their Actions are used for most Bench rebuilds attesting to their superiority. The Non-adjustable triggers are smooth, break crisp, and more than adaquate for hunting.

Its a shame they have BUTCHERED the 770 with that Rinky-dink magizine lash-up. They would be better served, and customers also, by NOT attaching some Cracker-Jack Box Prize Scope with the gun. Yes it is UGLY..But it does Shoot well. If it wasnt for the Magizine issue I would have advised him to keep the gun, beat the package scope with a B.F.H., and mount something suitiable.

For a base price of $273 (around here) a good deal for a basic hunting rifle. IF they fix the magizine issue. Otherwize I would NOT nor would I reccomend anyone else to purchase one.

6. SWO1

I will end this thread with the final results.

He could not get the gun replaced. He did recieve another scope from the dealer, another off brand but a little better than the factory one. We didnt mount it as he purchased a 4X16 centerpoint and that is the one we used. The magizine the dealer didnt have another one but we figured out the problem with the origional and fixed it, works fine now, or at least has stayed together thru about 60 rds so far. The dealer would only allow 2/3 of the price on trade in for another as it is now a USED GUN.

As I stated earlier the gun itself iS fine. It shoots well under 1" groups with factory ammo. And with a proper scope, and the Mag repairs I believe is now a reliable rifle. For a price under $3 hundred a viable option for a HUNTING RIFLE. But my FINAL ANSWER is No...I wouldnt buy one outright....there are other options as good. If I needed one and the right Price presented itself, probley so.

7. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review and update !!!

8. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

I got a Remington 770 in .270 a couple(2 or 3) years back and have had no problems with it. I have had no problems with magazines or putting the bolt back in. I really have no complaints with mine. I dropped a coyote with it out at 180 yards a few weeks back and has had similar results on a handful of antelope with the stock scope. Maybe he got a bad rifle, or have they changed since I got mine?

9. SWO1

I also have a 770 in .243. Its a few years old also. Yes it is different. And also I had someone with a 30-06 here in 770 that is an older one. The magizine is different and some of the bolt caritristics. It does shoot fine tho. As does the other two.

10. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

I think my bolt has that plastic part you are talking about though.

11. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I looked at the Rem 770 at a gun shop and thought they were very homely. I think there are other more attractive economy grade rifles on the market. I suppose function should be more important than looks, but hey I'm just a shallow kinda guy. :)