Ruger Rifles

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by axxe55, Feb 18, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

post your pictures and information about your Ruger rifles, whatever they may be.

well i'll start this one out with this one. the other morning, i went to pick up my pistol i had in layaway, and was browsing around, found a Winchester M94AE in 30-30 that ended up following me home for $260 + tax, then looking around at the used rifle rack, i saw a Ruger M77V in the rack. well i have a soft spot for older Ruger bolt action rifles, and have had many over the years in different calibers. well one thing that caught my attention was the 24" heavy barrel. looking the barrel over, i noticed the caliber, 280 Remington! wow! i have been looking for a rifle in this caliber for several years, and here it was, in a Ruger M77V in a heavy barrel. man, talk about luck. well i was almost even scared to look at the price tag, $499! wow again! now i have already bought the SA Micro Compact 45acp 1911, and the Winchester M94AE, and here is this Ruger rifle that i really have been wanting in a caliber that i have been looking for quite awhile. so what do i do? i tell Archie the owner of the gun store my dilemma, i really want this rifle, bad, what kind of a deal would he make me on it. he looks at his paperwork and tells me the best he can do on it is $470+tax. well i knew that there was no way this rifle wasn't going to end up being mine, so i paid him a $100 down and put it on layaway. when i get the rifle home in a couple of weeks, i will post some pictures of it, with its new scope i picked out, a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 BDC. should be plenty of scope for this rascal!

2. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

nice rifles

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

3. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

A Ruger No.1 B .243 Win in Stainless to be a new project. :) I am going to cut the barrel from 26" to 20" or 22" still thinking on that one lol. And have Jess Re-Bore to .358 Winchester.

[​IMG]

4. JohnnyLoco

Jester, Damn nice rifle man. I sure hate to see a 243 get a rebore. That new 95 gr Winchester XP3 is my goto 243 round.

I picked up a 94SS down there at Powderhorn and wondered if it were one of your old ones.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Here is the 10/22 that I just gave to my granddaughter last Sept.
    I bought it at Wal-Mart when she was a toddler. My records indicate that I payed $180. She took such a liking to it that I put it back in the box (unfired) and saved it for her.

Attached Files:

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

that's cool grey! nice story to add to the gun in the future. she will enjoy it for many years and coming from her grandfather, it will be one she will cherish forever. big thumbs up to you grey!

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Along with the rifle, I gave her 2 silver colored scope bases, 2 high cap mags., a sling that said Ruger and a soft carry case that has Ruger on the side. As soon as the weather turns nice, I owe her a trip to the range.
    At one time, I owned one just like the one in the picture that JohnnyLoco posted. My granddaughter really enjoyed shooting it, as you can see in the photo below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. JohnnyLoco

I like that stainless laminate, I didn't know they made that combo.

I've had some tricked out 10/22's but I always come back to my sporter.

Cool shootin with the kids.

9. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

I have a model 77 in 30-06 . Tang safety , and feels like it is carved out of an oak 3x6 , compared to my Marlins .

[​IMG]

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i have a fondness for the older Ruger M77's. i have had several over the years, and are one of my favorites in a bolt action rifle. one of my favorites in a M77 yeas ago, was chambered in 220 Swift, and i loved shooting that rifle. at 100 yards, with factory ammo, it was one ragged hole if i did my part in shooting it.

1894, that's a nice looking Ruger!

11. JesterGrin_1

Nope Johnny I traded the Marlin 1894SS in .44 Mag off to someone that would put it to use. :)

As for the Ruger No.1 I am starting to have second thoughts lol. Mainly since I found out that Ruger has discontinued the B model in Stainless.

I have read that the Barns 85Gr TSX works great in the .243 Win?

12. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

I have a M77 30-06 with the tang safety, and it's my most accurate rifle, by far!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

you guys are posting some pictures of some good looking Ruger rifles! i love my Marlins, but i have a fondness for Ruger rifles too. keep the pictures coming.

14. JohnnyLoco

Jester, That rifle is sweet man. That Barnes works good on hogs inside 200 well. The Winchester XP3 ammo in my opinion is another game changer as the Barnes was. The
    Hornady stuff ain't no slouch either. I think the velocity of these two rounds makes the caliber great for everything.

I'll be honest. I use my 243 inside 200 yards and I've always been pleased with Corelokts and Hornady 100gr Interlock

I have a 20" barrel and thats why I made the switch to get thet extra velocity. I get about 3K from the XP3.

15. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

That is awesome wood furniture.

16. JesterGrin_1

Johnny have you used the Barns 85Gr TSX? And are they really worth the cost? I hunt Deer and Hog and smaller stuff like coyote if they come bye .

I have just never really trusted the .243 for such hunting.

17. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

People have used 22lr for Deer.Not that i would but to each his own.

18. JesterGrin_1

Well I could be wrong but I think there is at least a small difference between a .22LR and a .243 Win lol.

19. JohnnyLoco

Jester,

The Barnes kills Deer and hogs real well. I'm sure we could have a caliber debate but it really comes down to your term "trust". I'm sure "ethics" is a concern for many, I'm not one of them. I've tracked animals from most every super caliber and not tracked animals from a 22LR. It depends on the moon I guess?

I trusted Barnes 243 to take Elk inside 200 and it works fine. His heart looked like a hand grenade hit it. I'll be shooting no more elk so it doesn't matter.

At 200 yards, the 100 grain leads expand better than the Barnes in my opinion, I think the loss of velocity is the reason.

If you want great performance inside of 200 for good price then the Remington or Hornady 100 grainers are good enough and the Winchester HP Powermax is nice too.

The best bullet performance, velocity, and ballistic coefficient, for use on all game and varmints under 300 yards, I think the XP3 is great.

Sometimes I get a kick out of the caliber debate. I think the worst damage I've ever witnessed on a large animal was a 220 swift on a feral bull at 80 yards. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012