Rust prevention

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by FOUR4D4, Feb 18, 2013.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I'm at a loss here on how to keep rust away from my beloved firearms.I thought the sila gel for 33sq ft,silicone storage socks.Rem oil & Rig grease would be enough.At least its the older guns that i bought used and not in my possession for their life time they were just mistreated at an early age.And they never saw oil till I brought them home.Just venting a little:)

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Found some places for you to look.

http://www.theinhibitor.com/VCI-Gun-Storage-with-Rust-and-Corrosion-Protection-s/41.htm

http://www.theruststore.com/Gun-Rust-Protection-During-Storage-W24C2.aspx
    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGdVW7SSJRSDoAdLlXNyoA?p=rust+preventative+for+gun+storage&fr2=sb-top&fr=chr-hp-psg&type=HPDTDF&type_param=HPDTDF&rd=pref

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I live in western,wa where it rains 250 days a year and rust is enemy #1.
    Regular monthly wipedowns with gun oil is a must..I use something I learned from one of my unit armorers in the military, stuff a sock full of charcoal briquettes and stick them in the gun cabinet,take them out every few months and put them by the fire to dry...it works

4. FOUR4D4

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKLy97Afjfc[/ame]

5. xwrench3

xwrench3 Active Member

3 letters. S T P . its a pain to clean off. but it works.

6. BUBSDAD

BUBSDAD Member

I like to put Johnson's paste wax on all my guns once a year. Usually on a rainy day in February when there is nothing else to do. Use it on metal and wood. I never have any issues.

BUBSDAD

7. Plumber

Plumber Well-Known Member

I saw a test of several different products on bare metal, and WD-40 LTCI, came out on top. This is NOT standard WD-40, but a new product to prevent rust. I have not used it, but there was no rust on the steel protected by it.
    Terry

8. FOUR4D4

Has anyone ever tried CLP Breakfree I have used it. It seems like it dries up must be more of a cleaner

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Basically anything with Lanolin in it

Magic stuff

They tell me Remiol is good also

10. artbrownsr

artbrownsr Well-Known Member Supporting

I suppose it would take an Aussie to note Lanolin as they have to do something to market their sheep:D
    That's ok Bucky because I prefer to market our Fishing and Hunting opportunities here in Alaska. Oh and we have the oil to make the guns slick!

11. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Art
    Love the little dig, but I had a lot of trouble with rust on 3 rifles, which I have stopped in its tracks.
    It was whilst I was in Norway, and staying with some locals that I learnt about Lanolin, as they basically greased up all the rifles in one of their bunkers, that their father looked after, or should I say ex-bunkers, with Lanolin. This prevented rusting during their long damp winters.

When I came home, 7 weeks later, I told a mate of mine, and he then tells me he had been using it for years.

A local product called "Lanox", (part of the Inox family) and it is marine grade anti rust, and a lubricant as well.

But I have mentioned it before

Also I would love to go to Alaska, but it's a little out of the question, as Norway is again calling us. Maybe I can do both if I win Lotto

Cheers Mate
    Bucky

12. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Ed's Red or Rig have always been my "go-to" products for rust prevention. Also, use a dry rod in your gun safe.

13. FOUR4D4

I use Rig and gun socks with the Silca Gel box

14. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Like oldbrass I wipe mine down regular with Gun Oil (Rem oil). And everytime I handle one it is wiped down. Even parts that are left in the shop for periods of time are wiped down and don't have a rust problem. I like the charcoal thingy ...... gonna do that also, cant hurt.

15. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

One of the original parts to the Ed's Red mixture is lanolin. The Swiss used it and I have yet to see a poor Swiss rifle bore regardless of age.

16. FOUR4D4

Rust never sleeps

17. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Friend of mine told me about putting rice in a sock and put it in the safe. Supposedly it soaks up the moisture like silica packs do.
    Linseed oil is supposedly a good rust preventive also. I rubbed down my Marlin 60 and my shotguns with it. It does seem like a fairly thick coating and it doesn't hurt the wood furniture or plastics.

18. togterry

togterry New Member

If y'all like lanolin - take a look at Fluid Film. Incredible stuff made from wool. It is all natural - it leaves a nice super thin coating that provides long term protection. I also use the rice in the sock - although I like the idea of using charcoal. I will try that and see how it does.

19. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I'll have plenty of charcoal in my stocking this year. I'll send you some after Christmas, lol.

20. GunnerJacky

GunnerJacky Member

My house is full of moist air. I cannot help it but try to do everything to prevent my Glock 17 from rusting.