Savage 99's?

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by LT67, Feb 8, 2012.

1. LT67

LT67 Active Member

Okay, who has them? This is my 1951 99R in .300Sav I inherited from my Grandfather.

Attached Files:

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

The Edsel of guns, ugly at the time but worth more now! Thats sure is an awesome gun,Lt

3. LT67

LT67 Active Member

I luv the design of the 99's.... they're built like a bank vault

4. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

My Uncle Noel has one and its been his only hunting rifle for many years, works every time

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

nice looking rifle LT. you just don't see that many of the old m99 like that anymore, and usually if you happen across one, they want an arm and a leg in price for them. not the prettiest of rifles, but solidy built and nice shooting rifles.

6. Big bore

Big bore Active Member

I like the looks of them. My dad had a ,308 model F? It was a featherweight. Nice gun for sure. He ended up giving it to my brother in law who needed it more then me. Thankfully, he still has it and uses it. It's his only rifle.

7. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

"The Edsel of Guns" - poetry. They certainly made up for their looks with those pointed bullets and oldtime performance cartridges. When I was a kid, everybody was switching over to bolt actions and you could pick up old Savage 99s for next to nothing. If only we knew...

8. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

That sure is the truth 28Shooter...if only we knew.

9. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Do you have any side pics of it?

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i agree! i can remember amny years ago, you could buy a decent Savage 99 for a decent price at a gun store or gun show, now they hardly ever seem to show up, and when they do, they are wanting a fortune for them. i wish i had the forethought to buy several of them many years ago and just put them back!

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

just yesterday morning, i went to my LGS to pick up my pistol that was in layaway, was checking out some rifles and shotguns in the used rack, and low and behold, there is a Savage M99 in 250-3000 Savage. but what was unique, was the factory take-down feature! i looked it over, and it had that old look to it, not crusty and rusty, just looked like an old and well used rifle, that was passed down several times. i worked the lever, and looked it over, it was solid and smooth. it was marked as a gun on consignment and had $1395 on the price tag. i don't know if it was worth it or not, but it was a neat old M99 none the less. i wished i had been able to take some pictures of it, to post on here.

12. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

I've got one in the classic 300 Savage caliber. I like it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  13. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Speed Shooter, that is a really clean 99. Nice wood and it looks to be well taken care of.
    Although I've never owned one, I've always thought that I needed a 99. From what I've heard, they were by design, ahead of their time.
    At this season in my life, there is little chance that I'll spend that kind of money.
    Thanks for sharing.

Grey

14. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

Grey,

You'd be surprised. Sometimes they just fall into your lap! I really like the 300 Savage as a deer cartridge.

15. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

:p My lap is always open, for just that reason. ;)

16. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i wish one would fall into my lap too! most any around here that become available are priced way too high.

17. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

A 1951 model 99E (.300 Savage)with a Leapers 1-6x40 tactical and a
    1980 model 375 (.375 Winchester)with a Pentax1.75-5x20.

Attached Files:

18. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

19. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

The only problem I have with the 99 is that the lever is just about too small for my hands. With gloves on I have a hard time working the lever. So I generally use the gun in the early part of the season when the weather is warmer.

20. SpeedRock

SpeedRock Member

1950's 99's...

Have two 99's bought in Fairbanks, AK in the late 60's, in Pawn Shops no less !

Both were almost pristine....

the .250-3K is an "EG" Model I believe ?
    With a 24" bbl. & that wonderful Schnabel for-end.
    Still shoots 1.25" groups off bags at 100 yds.

The other is a .300 Sav. in the "F" type or style.
    The Perfect Deer Rifle for brush & tight or open woods
    due to its balance, light weight and bbl. length.

The .300 seems to be getting renewed interest in some facets
    of the gun press due to the new ammo and powders ! :cool:

After all, it was the "model" for the 7.65x51mm NATO and
    .308 Win. Was good then and now, even better !

As far as "Ugly at the time..." It's Never been ugly to those who used and loved it !
    {A M94 is ugly to me...}

And, at the time, it was way ahead of its time, in terms of no tube magazine, its rotary brass, internal magazine and the ultra-strong action {for its Era}, intuitive hammer cocked indicator and very probably, its inherent accuracy potential.

About the only thing not to like about them was the safety at the lever...
    but it did lock the lever to the stock.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012