Savage sporter 32-20

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by 1894, May 8, 2012.

1. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Ran across a new tomato stake for the garden last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. That Sporter is a real neat old rifle. Should be a dream to shoot.

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Very nice. I had one of those in 25-20 back in the late 70's. You'll have to tell us how it shoots.

4. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Well that was a very humbling experience .
    I clearly don't shoot often enough any more and haven't for several years. [​IMG]
    Put 10 rounds in the direction of a paper plate yesterday @ just 25 yards. Based on the price over the phone I got from the one store that has 32-20 ammo that was a 10$ lesson learned the hard way [​IMG]

The rifle functions good , last round out of the mag sometimes wants to go thru the top of the reciever instead of into the chamber , but I knew that so no big deal , and it did not happen on the second mag full.
    Did finally see that the front sight is bent . Not sure how to fix that , but for now restraining the urge to just grab it with channel locks and bend it back seems to be a good choice [​IMG]
    Maybe some vertical stringing as the barrel heats up . Or more likely , mostly that the person doing the shooting sux and needs to get out with the 22 alot more often. [​IMG]

5. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

That really is a neat little rifle! This ole' boy needs to get out to the range more too.

6. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Don't be to hard on yourself 1894...minute of paper plate is a good place to start. I've had days I couldn't find the paper.

7. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Just one of those things I guess. The old box of ammo I used for the 10 shots at a paper plate I thought was factory , having 2nd thoughts on that now. One out of the 10 hit the plate perfectly sideways. 90 degree spin in 25 yards.[​IMG]
    Found 2 rounds that didn't have enough crimp to keep the bullet from getting pushed down into the case. They were just in the box , top of the lead even with the top of the brass. [​IMG]
    As I mentioned , I bought a new box of ammo yesterday , hit the range this morning , it was too busy for the 1/2 hour I had time for so I just went on my way . Hate having this hanging over my head , but , I'll wait until next week. Even then , this particular rifle may not like the 50$ box of ammo I bought . But at least I expect it not to helicopter any of the new ammo [​IMG]

8. Craig

Craig New Member

Phil would you know where a guy could buy an old 32-20 like that. when i was a young boy i used a savage like yours to kill wood chucks on our farm and the area around it. over the years i killed hundreds with it. it was a great rifle for chucks. any help would be great.Thank You Craig mcwellman@hughes.net