Scat?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by duster066, Oct 19, 2012.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I'm seeking confirmation of what I was told about scat identification.

There are four types of scat where I'm hunting I'm concerned with.

1) I'm sure is dog.
    2) I'm sure is deer, small piles of black pellets like large rabbit turds.
    3) Coyote, formed like dog but filled with fur and small bones.
    4) What I had thought was bear, but then convinced myself it's deer (because there is so much of it) and now again believe it's bear.

It's the bear I'm confused about. It's berries, purple in color and filled with seeds and undigested berries. We've had a bumper crop of wild berries this year, and this stuff is everywhere. In years past I assumed it was bear, but because there is so much of it and I couldn't believe there were that many bears in this area, I convinced myself it was deer. Maybe they eat the berries to, and the consistency of their poop changes from pellets to log.

This theory took a hit about 4 weeks ago when I found I giant pile of the berries poop, and the logs where 2 or 3 inches in diameter. I was like there is no way that came out of a deer. But because I have found no bear tracks or fresh tree scratches this year I convinced myself there is a large deer out there. I hunted yesterday, and now there are lots of huge piles of berry poop.

When I got back to the truck the old man who owns a small plot of the forest for his own pleasure was out there. He has been helpful in the past, and he came out of his camp and we BSed. He told me there is a LARGE bear in there, and he has been trying to get him. He told me deer don't eat the berries, only the leaves of the berry plants. All of those berry piles are bear. If true there are a number of bears in there, and one of them is a "big feller" as the old man put it.

Can anyone confirm this. If the old guy is right, and he should know because he's been hunting that area for much of his life, I am doubly motivated to keep at it on that mountain. There are bears in there and one them is a "big feller!"

2. Windy

Windy Well-Known Member Supporting

I hope you're carrying a "big gun" for that big feller. :eek:

3. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

In WA it may be a bigfoot . Make sure you identify your target. Sounds like bears from your description. :cool:

4. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Alright duster.....this sounds like a great ongoing thread for the year.....:cool:
    Keep us up to date on how it unfolds.....with pics of course.

Maybe it is just one BIG ONE....Got ahold of some bad berries and has an intesinal problem.....know what I mean.....:rolleyes:

As for deer not eating berries.....Maybe not there but around here they sure do a job on strawberry beds.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Yea...by all means...post pics of the poop !! ;)

Below is all "confirmed" bear scat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Name the species of that feces. :eek:

7. SHOOTER13

:D....you ain't right in the head Four !!

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Im not the one who's posting pitures of poop. Now who aint right 13??? :D

9. Windy

Windy Well-Known Member Supporting

Man, I love this forum!!

I can contribute pictures of raccoon poop. It looks similar.......only smaller. :D

10. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Shooter , there is no size reference in those pics , also you did not say where and what time of year those pics were taken . :rolleyes:
    I'm gonna guess that these "confirmed " bear turds are not really what they seem to be .
    So as was so well said :

11. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Windy , a close up photo without anything for size reference can look like it is bigger or smaller. A close up full frame pic of your raccoon poop may very well be what is in the images 13 posted.
    That's why I try to add something for a size reference when I can.

like this

[​IMG]

12. SHOOTER13

Geez Us 1894...maybe I should have asked the bear to wait around after he finished wiping...

[​IMG]

13. SHOOTER13

Species: Ursus Americanus

How is this poop scale...?!

( that's a six inch ruler BTW )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SWO1

A good thread title FOUR4D4.....In the absence of visual sightings, trail cams, tracks, the best way to determine if suspected animals are in a particular area. Just like pictures, tracks they are valuable in tracking and scouting. If it bothers anybody when hunting then get ya some of these hunting duds and impliments.......................................:D

Attached Files:

15. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Dang Shooter , I'd say you have an enormous raccoon
    in your area . :eek:

But that would be just funnin' with ya some more ;)

Hope you can get that critter into your freezer this season :cool:

16. SHOOTER13

That ain't raccoon poop Phil...

That is Black Bear poo....Species: Ursus Americanus

17. SWO1

SHOOTER13 really knows his "S_ _T"......;)

18. SHOOTER13

19. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Like I said , I hope you can get that critter in your freezer this season.
    And yes I was playing ..... Species : Americanus ignoramus .
    Not sure which smile face to add to a lighthearted jest-full , semi sarcastic post :rolleyes:
    And thanks for the crappy pictures , nice to know I'm not the only one to take chitty pics ;):D .
    Also , my apologies for my part in helping flush this thread towards the septic tank instead of being more helpful .:eek:

20. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Oh poop!!

What's the words to that old song...I love the doo-doo that you do so well..