Scaveninging a new 336W

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by frgood, Oct 24, 2014.

1. frgood

frgood Active Member

I would like the opinions of the members here. This is kind of off the wall.

I have a 1973 336 that was damaged from misuse. I've salvaged the wood, the receiver, the barrel and and a few internals. I also have a 336W I bought new last year.

What do you think of my scavenging parts from my 336W to complete my 173 336? I like the older wood and I can do without the safety.

Am I creating a worthless monster rifle?

This would be my primary hog hunting rifle.

2. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

I would probably be more inclined to buy the parts needed to put 1973 in shape rather than scavenge parts from your new rifle but that's just me. Good luck with your project whichever route you decide to go.

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I agree, You have the wood, reciever and barrel so you could probley get the parts you need off the interweb, Besides winters coming and you`ll need a project

4. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I dont know what parts you need, but internals I cant imagine being more than the NEW 336. Swapping parts and you still have only 1. If one is all you want .... sell the new one and get the parts that way ....... IMO

5. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I'd look for the older parts. Why render the new gun inoperable to create a gun that works but is in fact a shooter-only Frankengun?

6. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Either the old one or New one, both are field guns ...... None a museum piece. I have an old 336 and had others. Good guns for there intended purpose. New parts, old parts will get the same results. A good shootin rifle.

7. frgood

frgood Active Member

Thanks all for the excellent advice. I have several options to consider and I'll post pix of the final result.