seasoning a new barrel ??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by oldbrass, Feb 20, 2013.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Hope this is the right forum...Fixin to go shootin my little savage .223 this weekend for the first time.. This is the first rifle I`ve ever bought new besides a .22 LR.
    I`ve googled seasoning a new rifle barrel and some say its a must and some say its BULL-HARKY...I would like your opinion and any advice on this matter..

OB

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Clean the bore of all the shipping oil first.Shoot at will come home clean the bore, re oil & store till next range trip.Most of all enjoy.We want pictures.and a full range report:D

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

this is what Precision Shooting Magazine recommends

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/proceduresbarrelbreakin/

STEP 1 (repeated 10 times)

• Fire one round
    • Push wet patches soaked with a powder solvent through the bore
    • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
    • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
    • Push wet patches soaked with a copper solvent through the bore
    • Push a brush through the bore (5 times in each direction)
    • Push dry patches through the bore (2 times)
    • Push a patch with 2 drops of oil through the bore
    STEP 2 (repeated 5 times)

• Fire a 3 shot group
    • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1 after each group
    STEP 3 (repeat 5 times)

• Fire a 5 shot group
    • Repeat the cleaning procedure from STEP 1
    They recommend the use of a patch with 2 drops of oil after the cleaning so that you are not shooting with a dry bore. It is also advisable to use a powder solvent and copper solvent from the same manufacturer to be sure they are chemically compatible.

4. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I followed the directions

5. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

As you stated in your OP, you will get opinions from both sides of the fence.
    I've only owned a few brand new rifles. I treated them the same as all the rest. Shot them and cleaned them when I got home.
    However, I overheard this discussion at Bench Rest Shoots. Bench rest shooting is a timed event whereas they have only so much time to shoot 3-5 sighting shots and then shoot 10 qualification shots. Then they return to their work area and clean their rifles. A Bench Rest Rifle is thought to have a life expectancy of rounds in the 1000s. Break in shot take away from the life of the barrel and are considered unnecessary by most in that circle.

If you want to follow the process posted by FOUR4D4, that is only 50 rounds so maybe not a big deal. If you gain peace of mine by breaking in the barrel using that technique, I say it is worth the effort.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

shoot clean shoot clean shoot..sounds easy enough and I won`t be in a hurry...I think I`ll give this a whirl......Thanx fellas for your feedback...I see it mentioned to use bore cleaner,finish with a few drops of gun oil...I have some CLP the army donated :D that will do both real well for that

7. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I broke in my Marlin 7X .223 with 50 rounds of Federal bulk FMJ. Swabbed the barrel every 10 shots with Butchs. Wet patches until clean, then dry patches until clean. I dont brush. Within 20 rounds of reloads it shot .226 group.

I lightly oil the bore when Im done, but run dry patches thru before shooting. Just two sighter rounds before a target session to foul the barrel and Im good to go.

8. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

What SWO1 said is pretty reasonable. Unless the barrel is exceptionally rough from the factory two boxes of jacketed bullets cleaning as you go is plenty.

9. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

I'd have to follow FOUR4D4's suggestion as the premiere method. Tear it down and remove all factory oils/greases then use you favorite "good stuff" and reassemble before you ever bust a cap. Although it's a royal PIA to shoot/clean, shoot/clean over & over, proven to work well. We all like to see our tools move the hits rapidly to dead center with scope adjustments as we go ;), but one would presume you want the best possible results from your new Savage.

I'd avoid all abrasive compounds & gimmicks like Tubbs bullet system lapping. #1 over-priced/over-kill and #2 unnecessary. The smaller the bore, the more meticulous approach seems to work...OR school #2 and shoot away. Most important is removing all the copper and carbon. Lightly oiled patch through and put away after an external wipe down.

Best wishes for a tack driver once you discover the majic load.

10. xwrench3

xwrench3 Active Member

the only thing extra i do with a new gun is clean it before i shoot. do not let the barrel get HOT, and clean with a copper solvent the first few times out. rough bore = more copper residue. that shoot one round, clean it, shoot 3 more, clean it etc is for custom made fine precision bench rest guns that drive tacks @ 1000 yards. not for off the shelf production guns.