Shotshell reloading !!

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by oldbrass, Mar 15, 2013.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I`ve never re-loaded shotgun before, probley cause I don`t shoot it much..However out of curiosity does it cost a lot to get started ??
    I`m goin on first turkey hunt and my brother has been pokin me to get back into duck hunting. I use to hunt ducks religiously but now I just feed them..How times have changed !!!

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I shot mostly Trap along with some Sporting Clays & Skeet for about 8 years before the price of Shot went through the roof. Back then, magnum lead shot was $12 - $14 per 25# bag. There was myself and 3-4 of my friends that were shooting my reloads. We reloaded over 5000 rounds a year for the first 6 years and the last 2 years we reloaded 8000 rounds per year.
    I started with a 12 ga. MEC 77 Sizemaster for a couple years but it became work so I invested in a MEC 9000G progressive. The Sizemaster would load about 300/hr. whereas the 9000G was double that amount at 600/hr.
    A Sizemaster will cost about $250 in today's money. That would be my choice to start. Nothing wrong with the MEC 650 but I preferred the Collet Sizer.
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=ME812012&src=exrbSrch
    I recommend buying the Adjustable Charge Bar & Powder Baffle. That will run about $45. This will save you money on the powder & shot bushings and allow for more precise adjustments. Easier to change powder types and shot size. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...rogressive-shotshell-loaders-650-grabber-9000
    Primers are about $50/1000
    Wads are about $8/500 (I use Wind-Jammer Wads)
    The last I heard, Shot was about $38 per 25# bag for lead. (Not sure about steel or other options.
    I use Accurate N-100 powder that runs $16+ per 3/4# and $71 per 4#. (about 370 loads per pound)
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2183153402/accurate-nitro-100-smokeless-powder
    At my last calculation, it cost about $5 a box for Lead Trap Loads. Not a big savings considering the investment unless you shoot a lot. Savings might be greater if you're loading water fowl loads????? :confused: Depends on the price of the shot???????
    I still have the 77 Sizemaster and still load 12 ga. I've been shooting some Sporting Clays with a 20 ga. O/U and I buy my 20 ga. shells at Walmart, If that gives you any hint.
    I hope this helps.

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Thanx greyhawhk thats a lot of good info...I think I`ll be ok with wally-worlds ammo..I can only shoot 3 turkey per year and I`m not committed to duck huntin yet..The last time I did that was on Willapa Bay here in Western,WA The light rain turned to a nor-wester, I slipped and filled my waiters and pert near froze to death..That was a good hunt though..

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I agree.
    You need to shoot thousands of round a year to justify the cost of the equipment and varied components. Shot shells are still plentiful and easy to find.
    Enjoy you hunts.