Single Action Rear Sight

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by Rooster59, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

My wife recently acquired a new Heritage Arms 22 revolver. It's a fairly inexpensive but fun shooter. Hers is a 4.5" model with bird's head grip. I think the grip was the part that put her over the top on this 22 revolver.

The pistol needed some tweaking to the sights as you might have expected. I tweaked the front sight to correct the tendency to shoot to the left of point of aim. And the front sight needed a little filing to raise the barrel a bit.

Not that it shoots straight, as far as my eyes can make it, I think it could use a little opening up of the rear sight channel. I filed the right side of the channel a bit to correct the POI issue but it could be a bit wider to get a better sight picture.

Anybody ever done this to a fixed sight style single action pistol and how did you accomplish it?

I've ordered some cold blue from Van's to repair the bluing where I filed the sights so far. That should be durable enough because this revolver will not get heavy use or abuse.

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i am getting that the sights are not removeable? if that is the case, then the approach you are taking is probably the only one available to change the POI. my only suggestion would be to try your approach, but if possible, try shooting from a rest and adjust accordingly.

3. Rooster59

You got it axxe. They are just like a Colt 1873 SAA. Swaged/soldered front blade with a groove in the top strap. Heritage offers a model with adjustable sights but Annie was dead set on the bird's head grip which they only offer with fixed sights. What she puts me through...........

4. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I bought my pops a used one for Christmas. We got lucky and it shoots to POA. Yesterday I lucked out again and found a 22mag cylinder for it in the trading zone at the Hi Point site. Now pops will have the whole package.

5. Rooster59

We have several friends with various models. Everybody likes them. Three of those friends bought them specifically for terminating animals in their furbearer traps. At that distance POA is not an issue! Most of them said theirs hits a little high which is harder to resolve than low like Annie's.