smoking a bird

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by duster066, Nov 27, 2013.

1. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I know there is a thread for this, but I can't find it.

I want to smoke the wife's golden bird, a 115 dollar 17 lbs friken turkey!:rolleyes:

I have a COS grill I modded today with all the mods I could find on the web. Extended the chimney, baffled the smoker, sealed the smoker lid, installed 2 thermometers on both ends at grill height, and I made a coal basket. I fired it up for a test and to burn off metal and RTV fumes.

It came to 300' in an hour on the hot side and 290 on the cold. It's cold outside so I covered it with leather and foil. That drove it to 400' in 12 minutes. Removed the blanket and it settled at 310. I have an in grill digital meat thermometer.

By adding the remainder of a 10lb bag I was able to hold it between 290 and 350 for 3 hours. With another 10lb bag it looks like I can do this.

Looking for any advise you guys can add. The web is cool, and I've learned a new trick from You Tube, but would like to hear from you all. I have a neat receipt, but will add my own special steps. Any pit falls you can point out?

Duster

2. bovw

bovw New Member

$115 for a turkey? I just picked up a 303 Enfield from 1914 for $100.

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I tried smoking a bird once..it was to hard to light

4. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

What kind of rolling papers did you use?

5. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member

To answer the OP, with heat of 290 to 350 degrees, that is more akin to cooking, not slow smoking. Way too hot IMHO.

6. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

The bird turned out great but only by accident. The Chinese made remote therm failed so I was on the clock the old fashion way. Checked the gravy drip at 2.5 hrs for moisture level and the bird looked done. It was a tad dry in the breast but over all it was superb. All though the directions I was using did call for 325 degrees and I was able to maintain close to that it must have been hotter cause it should have taken over 4 hrs to cook, by the book anyway. I think some baffles in my coal box would allow the burn rate and better control the temp. I'll try that next time. But the flavor was very good.