Sons first youth deer hunt

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by dads81-DL, Sep 21, 2013.

1. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

Well, I kept my promise. Last year my son wanted to go deer hunt'n. Being extremely over weight, I told him I'd have to loose a bunch of poundage. 90 pounds lighter, we went out this morning. Seen 2 doe and a possum on the way to a friends property. He lasted 5 hours in the woods..... mostly sleeping. He had a little sore throat and cough. By the time we left coughing was a bit more. We didn't see any deer but did see plenty of squirrels :) He didn't feel up to going out this afternoon with me. When I arrived home he's bundled in a blanket with a low fever. So decided on keeping him home tomorrow, and now looking for a spot for regular season in November.

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Congratulations on a good hunt with your son, and on loosing the poundage!!

3. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Congratulations on the first hunt, no better bond between father and son (or daughter). Also, great job on the weight!

4. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Your a good pops

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm happy for the both of you!

6. dads81-DL

Thanks guys. Now Wednesday or Thursday for turkey with my wife, and maybe some squirrels this weekend. :)

7. Shooter

I still need to shoot my a turkey. A buddy and I are talking about it this year.

8. dads81-DL

We all went this spring for the first time. I shot a small Jake. We just hope to see as many for fall season.

9. Shooter

Is it the best turkey you ever ate? I like duck and turkey a lot and been told the wild ones will blow my mind.

10. dads81-DL

The breast was tasty. The dark meat was...ok, it was a little different. wife soaked him 24 hours in apple juice, honey,salt, pepper Orange juice, water, sage,Rosemary, and a few other dry spices. Roasted in oven whole. The sark meat I used In chili.

Went on our hunt this morning, didn't see any turkey. Seen 6 doe and about 15 squirrels,Or the same 7 squirrels several times LOL. I shot one squirrel as we were packing to leave, using my wife's 20 gauge Mossberg, 3" magnum #4 turkey load.. Paced it off at 53 yards. He had 4 pellets in his back and butt.

11. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I think it tastes NOTHING like tame turkey. I ( and the rest of the family ) don't soak it in anything. Has a real mild flavor. But I suppose like all game will somewhat take on a flavor depending on their diet in their area. Same for venison, squirrels, rabbits. Some don't care for the flavor and have different methods of soaking ect. To each his own.

Here is mostly Cattle country, not a lot of crops that are ferterlized, just pasture and native timber, oak, hickory, walnut, beech.

12. Shooter

That's what I like about squirrel. It taste like my yard, and I like my yard.

13. dads81-DL

Being it was my first wild turkey and everyone I spoke to, I think my wife was nervous about the dark meat taste. Everyone was telling us to just cut out the breast and toss the rest. Personally.... I have a problem with that. If you hunt it....eat it!
    Would you shoot a deer and just eat the back straps?
    Our next bird , hopefully we get one :) is going to the roasting pan naked :)

14. djazphx

djazphx Member

Congrats on keeping your promise to your son!!! I would love to take my boys hunting! But I need to learn first. I went hunting once for rabbit when I was a kid but I remember little about it. I live in AZ now, moved here 5 years ago and started with firearms about year and half ago... I just picked up my marlin 30-30 lever action and would love to go hunting with it. Someday soon if God wills it so the right opportunity will present itself and everything will align to give me the time, money and time to go out and learn to hunt properly...

15. Gumpy

DJ. I would love to show your the ropes! How close do you live to North Alabama?

16. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

A lot of people are funny about wild game. They think it will have some kind of funky taste or texture. I've been served some high $ steak in resturants I wouldn't give to the dog.

If you roast a wild turkey you will find it is a lot leaner than the domestic bird. By that I mean very little fat. If youre not careful will come out very dry. Dosnt take as long to cook. I really like it deep fried in a turkey fryer in peanut oil. Im partial to the crispy skin. When my sisters where here last fall I did a young tom that way and they picked it clean.....and I mean BARE BONES.....LOL

17. djazphx

djazphx Member

Thanks Gumpy, not that close but I appreciate the offer and may just take you up on it.

18. Gumpy

19. dads81-DL

I turned 50 last March. I haven't hunted in 22 yrs,until recently. I'm very thankful my son peaked my interest again. I learned by trial and error....mostly error. Not scouting. My brother ( step) took me a few times and those are some of the best memories in my life. He was killed in a fight in 2012.... I find my self thinking of those days lately when hunting with the boy :) He always said..." sit and listen, nature will talk to ya" It took a few yrs to understand..... but she does talk . We just need to understand her language.

20. Gumpy

Very wise dads! From your brother uttering them, and your realizing the truth in them.