South Texas Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Vet47, May 21, 2012.

1. Vet47

Vet47 Member

Greetings Everyone.
    I am mostly retired now and have found time to go back to my old interest, guns, and shooting them. When I was young, we shot High Standard .22 pistols and CMP bolt actions (Remingtons?) in a local National Guard armory. As a 20-something, I got a Marlin 39M which I still have. Then life intervened, and I only shot what my Uncle Sam handed me for many years. Now I have rediscovered what a lot of fun it is to fix up old guns. So far I have fiddled with a couple of older Model 60s, replacing feed throats. My current favorite is a J C Higgins 103.228 sold by Sears, which I believe to be a Marlin Model 80C.
    I hope to see this forum grow and provide information and enjoyment for all of us Marlin lovers.

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the community!

I'm in Texas myself.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Hi and welcome to Marlin:)

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Vet 47. Glad to have you join us.

5. Vet47

Vet47 Member

Thanks Duster. I have seen similar lists, and they do identify the Higgins model as a Marlin 80, but I have not been able to verify if it is an 80C or some other variation of the 80. I suppose it doesn't matter, really, but I have been trying to narrow down the date of manufacture of this rifle. So far I figure that it is pre-68 since there is no serial number, post-53 since it has Micro-Groove rifling, and possibly pre-58 since it has a 24-inch barrel and I have seen some ads from 1958 which seem to indicate that the 80 went to a 22-inch barrel by that year. I do not know if the Sears model would always have the same barrel length as the Marlin-branded 80 so that last piece of information is a little shaky. Maybe I will try to find some old Sears ads for comparison.

6. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service to our country.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Vet47, welcome to the forum here from another Texan! glad to have you aboard. jump right in, as we're a friendly bunch here and enjoy a new member.

8. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum!

9. Vet47

Vet47 Member

Thanks for all the welcomes. This seems like a very friendly place and I hope that over time, I can contribute instead of just reading and trying to learn from others. As to my service, it was such a great experience that I think I should be thanking all of you who made it possible. There are many wonderful people in this country, even if you can't tell that from the news.

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Vet47, we're glad to have you aboard and look forward to learning from you also. one of the things i like about this forum is, the guys here are friendly, we joke back and forth and we learn from one another. i have gotten as much information here as i have given. the Mods are great and Austin is a pretty good guy. i really enjoy this forum and glad to be a member myself. there are many of the members here i would enjoy meeting in person and spend time talking guns, hunting and all things in general. just jump in and start posting questions, suggestions or ideas. check out the general chit chat section, as we discuss many different topics there.