Spin cocking a lever

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by FOUR4D4, Jan 11, 2013.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJkm1JuOoUM[/ame]

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Thats probley a lot harder than it looks, I`d more than likely end up with the rifle stuck in a tree when it went flying thru the air right after I shot my toes off

3. FOUR4D4

I tried it, with an unloaded gun of course

4. Rich1028

Rich1028 Well-Known Member

I've tried it as well with my Winchester...sometime I get it right most of the time I don't.

5. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I don't think it will work with a Levermatic. lol Not enough travel!

6. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I taught Chuck everything he knows.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: In my dreams!!!!

Watching the Rifleman every chance I got probably had some bearing on my love for lever guns and the old west.

7. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

If he had the trigger fixed to fire automatically, how could he spin cock it without it firing? Now THAT"S trigger control...or bad writers.

8. FOUR4D4

If you notice he spin cocks after hes done firing.Anythings possible its Hollywood

9. hombre243

makes no sense

Why cock an empty gun when it will have to be recocked...my point...bad writers. Hollywood hoohaw. But it looked cool. My luck the loop would snap off and get my rifle full of mud.

10. Lone_Ranger2007

Lone_Ranger2007 Member

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/default.htm found this site tonight, have not read much yet. There was an article in G&A or ST or American Rifleman in the past 2 years that I cannot find, they brought out that Chuck was ambidexerous and could spin cock with either hand, and that there was a second rifle, and that he could do both at once.

11. Bobshouse

Bobshouse Member

Sorry, don't spin cock my rifle or bogart my revolvers...save a lot of money that way.

12. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I gained a renewed respect for very skilled handling of the old guns when I started cowboy action. Of course no one does spin cocking, that I'm sure is illegal, but there are boys and girls who can make cowboy guns go very fast and accurate.

We were always told as kids that the Hollyweird stuff we saw on TV was BS, but I know some of it is not. I've seen live people doing it from 2 feet away.;) Our club President and his wife, looks like they are the club actually, are two very small oriental folks. They don't use that wimpy light weight cowboy ammo. They shoot max energy 357 and 44 loads. Their guns go BOOM every time, and they are every bit as good as any of the guys shooting wimp rounds. They often win over all.

One of my Sandy Hook arguments comes from my cowboy shoots. A skilled shooter can put 28 rounds on target in about 25 seconds with guns that are 130 years old. 8 of those rounds are from a double barrel shotgun!

13. xtratoy

xtratoy New Member

It seems to me that it would put an awful lot of stress on the cocking lever. Conners probably broke more than a few of them.

14. FOUR4D4

Im not doing it

15. hombre243

Side ways shootin

Is this where badguys and cool wannabe gunslingers learned to flip their gun on it's side and look real bad for the camera? About halfway through tthis (stutter) clip it looked like Chuck was shootin with his rifle on it's side as he plunged through the doorway, into the dust of the street and into the fray shootin as he went and killin the bad guy many yards away.:rolleyes:

I love old westerns.

16. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

One of my all time favorite scenes is when Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) charged across the field spin cocking his lever...I sure miss that one-eyed fat man

17. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I loved that show, as a kid.

Must have been 8 or 10

18. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 Active Member

Friend of mine can do it. He can spin his SA's too. Not me! Not even gonna attempt it. I know what the results will be.

19. hombre243

Toy guns and real ones

I can remember when I was a kid I had a "Fanner 50" sixgun that shot plastic bullets. I could shoot it, spin it and return it to the holster pretty quick. I tried spinning my NM Blackhawk, empty of course, and it is way too heavy and valuable a piece for me to mess with it that way. I don't know how "they" do it, but spinning a revolver, loaded or empty takes some strength. I ain't a sissy :D but I am too weak wristed to spin anything but a yarn. (Dang, I think I keep digging me in deeper so I'll shut up now:eek:.)