Spray On Finish?

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Hyphenated, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I plan on re-finishing a stock this winter. I would normally use about 12 coats of Tru-Oil, but I thought I would try something different this time. I would prefer a matt or semi-gloss finish. Has anybody used a spay that was available at Home Depot or Lowes? Doing a really nice job with Tru-Oil can take almost 3 weeks. I was hoping to cut that time down to a week after the sanding was complete.
    Thanks for the help.

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

from what it sounds like, you are refinishing a wood stock? if so, here is my method i use. sanded and prepped wood for staining, then i apply at least two coats of prefered color of stain and then wipe off excess with cloths or paper towels, apply stain until desired color is achieved. then let dry for about 24 hours, then lightly rub with steel wool and Johnson's paste wax, working the paste into the wood with the steel wool and use a very fine steel wool. then buff out by hand with soft cooton cloths, like t-shirt type material. here is a picture of one i redid last year on a shotgun of mine. also you can be back to useing the gun in about 2-3 days with my method.

Attached Files:

3. Hyphenated

That looks nice. You are right I am doing a wood stock on a 336. Does one coat of Johnson's wax put a thick enough protection on the wood? Do you need to re-wax it every couple months like a car to keep it looking good?

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

you don't really have to. a lot depends on how much it's handled. i do mine about every six months. it doesn't hurt anything to do it more often though. i am just not a big fan of glossy polyurethane looking stocks. good luck with the 336. show some pictures when you get finished. i will be glad to help if i can.

5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Looks good, I`ve never heard of doing a stock this way. Can you use paste wax on an existing fininsh to add protection ??

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

if it is a factory finish, then i would guess it wouldn't add any extra protection to it. but try it out and see, then let us know what happens. i really don't think it would do any harm. Johnson's paste wax is made for wood floors and furniture, so it should be fine and dandy for gun stocks.

7. Old man Tucker

Old man Tucker Active Member

Finishing stock

Hyphen, i just did my 1894 i read this somewhere and it sounded easy so i tried it. Now my stock was in good shape, so i took 4-0 wool lightly rubbed with the grain then took alcohol wiped let dry about 1hr. i bought minwax wipe on poly. i first tried to apply with rag but too much lint, so i just applied with my fingers very little in checkering. let dry for 6hrs then touched where i needed let dry for 24 hrs. then without sanding put another lite coat let dry 24hrs came out beautiful.i am of the minority i like a shiny finish, but you can get satin if you like. It looks and feels great. I don't know how it will hold up my luck first time i get out in weather it'll all peel off:). Good luck OMT"

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

That stock turned out nice axxe !

Thanks for all the helpful hints guys...

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks shooter.

OMT, try the foam paint brushes. no lint or brush marks. i use them all the time for stains on wood and they work great. they come in different sizes and are cheap to boot. use and throw away when finished.

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

here are some pictures of a remington M700 in 270win. that i recently refinished. short story on the rifle, i found it at a pawn shop and bought it for $360+ tax, bore is in good condition, action and bolt were smooth, but it was a cosmetic nightmare. the stock looked to be coated with some type of crappy polyurethane clear and the blueing was almost completely gone. the stock also looked to have some homemade checkering done. well i disassembled it and used paint stripper on the stock. i let it dry about 24 hours after removing most of the finish, then proceeded to sand it down. i started with 80 grit and used this to remove all the checkering, as it wasn't very deep. then worked it next with 120, then 220, then 320. i then proceeded with my method of applying the stain and wiping it off, i did this three times to achieve the look i wanted. let it dry for about 24 hours, then started using the paste wax and steel wool, followed with soft cloths to buff it out. the stock isn't factory, but an aftermarket walnut! i can't believe someone covered up this beautiful wood up with a crappy finish. BTW, that's not a stainless steel action and receiver!

Attached Files:

11. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

As a point of interest I use paste wax to treat the metal surfaces of my trail and hunting guns. I live in the Puget Sound region and playing outdoors in rain is a must. I clean normally then oil heavily to get it into tight areas. I then wipe off as much excess as possible, and wax heavily using tooth brushes to get into the tight areas. Tape up the muzzle and it's field ready. It repels water and doesn't flush off like oil will. Since I started doing it I don't come home with rust anymore. It also puts a nice glossy finish on the gun.

12. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I live in the same area "Yelm" gonna try that

13. Old man Tucker

spray finish

Thanks axxe; you know i did look at the foam brushes but wasn't sure how they would hold up. Thats good to know next time i'll give em a try there cheap enough. Great job on your finish i think next time i'm going to go with an oil finish. OMT"

14. Old man Tucker

spray finish

Hyphen i finally figured out how to get some pics to my album. I just finished all the wood i kow it's shiny i'm happy with it, but you could also go with a satin finish. I'm happy because it didn't take me long to do. It's real easy but my stock was in very good shape. OMT"

15. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I learned it from a WA hunting forum. Makes sense we'd figure out how to deal with rain.:)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  16. Hyphenated

Well it seems like everybody is doing some kind of rub on finish. I guess I'll be breaking new ground if I try a spray.

17. Old man Tucker

spray finish

Hypen go for it. the way i figure if i don't like it i'll just do it again. Who knows you might be on to something. I managed to get my pictures in my album, but thats as far as i could go still learning all about this computor stuff. If you get a chance check it out and let me know what you think and good luck on your project. OMT"

18. Hyphenated

OMT...zachly what I am thinking. If I'm not happy with it, I can always go back to plan 'B'.

19. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

hyphenated, worse case, you can always use a paint stripper and take the finish off, let it air dry for at least a day, lightly sand it again and start over with a different stain. i have made some mistakes with finishes before too! my method is just one that has proven itself to me over the years. good luck.

20. Speed_Shooter

Speed_Shooter Member

I've done a stock with Minwax Spray-on Poly in the satin finish. It's quick drying, and I gave it about 3 - 4 coats, cant remember exactly, and it looks really nice. I know people hate spray on finishes, but that's what Marlin uses on their stocks.