stock questions, model 60

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by xwrench3, Jun 30, 2012.

1. xwrench3

xwrench3 Active Member

i bought my 10 year old son a Marlin 60 for Christmas this year. after figuring out that it likes to run spraying oil out of the action wet, he loves it, but the stock is a little on the long side for him. i do not have a problem cutting a stock, to make it fit a person. i had to do it to my Remington 700, and i am 6'2"! who they make that for, i do not know. anyway, since this stock has no scratches on it, and he will certainly grow more, i would like to buy another stock, to cut down. will all model 60 stocks fit the rifle he has? Marlin has been making this rifle a LONG time, and i am sure they have made at least one change somewhere along the line. also, are the Glenfield stocks the same?

2. ErnieKY

ErnieKY Member

I'm pretty sure any stock from a rifle with the LSHO feature will fit. That's the last shot hold open, the little tab beside the trigger guard. They added that feature in the 80's I think.

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

as far as i know, most of the stocks for the M60 will interchange. even Boyd's show that the LSHO feature has to be trimmed out on their stocks. as cheap as the rifles are, i would look for a scratched up used one for cutting shorter and leave the nice one alone for putting back on when he gets older.

4. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

You might try an ati stock I have one on mine, and the butt is a lot shorter than the original wood stock. Then when he gets older you can put the oe stock back on.

5. xwrench3

xwrench3 Active Member

that is exactly what i was thinking. a $20.00 or so stock off from ebay, chop it and refinish it. when he is fully grown, he will have a nice new stock to put back on.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

with so many of the M60's having been made, and people putting aftermarket stocks on them, you should be able to find one pretty easy.

7. wjjones

Thats what I did to my old Glenfield I put one of the ATI stocks on it best I remember I paid somewhere in the $30 to $40 range for it.

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

another good source for a M60 stock is Boyd's Gunstocks. i have purchased two so far, one on a Savage bolt action rimfire and the other on a Marlin XS7 7mm-08. very pleased with them. decent prices and very high quality stocks. shipping was very fast also.

9. wjjones

I checked them out they are pretty decent on their prices.

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

WJ, i do recommend them highly. i paid about $110 altogether for the stock for the Savage and about $120 for the stock for the Marlin. i was sceptical at first because of the prices, but after the two i have bought so far, i have a couple more that are being planned for Boyd's replacements.

11. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Cant you buy a new model 60 for under $200

12. wjjones

Yep bass pro shoppe here in Tn has them for under $200 $169.00 plus tx last time I looked you might check with your local sporting goods outlet/ store.

13. Jnclem

Jnclem Member

I know this wasn't your question, but something is off there. Model 60's are known to want to run very dry. Most of us just use a drop or two of oil on a Q-tip on the bolt and maybe a couple of other sliding parts of the action. Any more than that and the gun will begin to build up some nasty stuff with use. Many even use only Dry Lubes. Maybe it's just because the action is brand new, or maybe there is some paint overspray that could be removed, but I've never heard of one liking to be that wet before. Just my 2 cents.

14. wjjones

Yep my manual says oil sparingly to much, and the old Gelnfield starts having a fit.

15. xwrench3

xwrench3 Active Member

this is our first Marlin 60, and having many other rifles, i know where you are coming from. most firearms need very little lubrication. i have cleaned this a couple of times, tearing it down all the way as far as disassembling the action and bolt. i smoothed all the rough spots i could find. so either i missed one, or something is a little tight on the tolerances someplace. as long as it will run, wet as a duck underwater, i will be happy to clean it up after shooting. i am sure whatever it is will break in, and then it will not need to run wet. it only has a few hundred rounds through it so far. but trying to shoot a semi-auto that works like a single shot is pretty frustrating, especially to a young man. so as long as it will work wet, i and he are happy with that. i clean everything directly after we are done shooting. because that is how i was taught, and it is what i am teaching him.

16. wjjones

Yep maybe after a little more use it will smooth out.

17. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Oil + Heat + pressure = GLUE...
    Simple physics...Marlins run best DRY...so after you oil it, wipe it down, let the rest air-dry, then reassemble it.

Usually need cleaning like AR-15's...meaning, after every range visit/500-rds, clean the action & pipe-cleaner/q-tip the chamber...
    if in a dry area...about every 2.5K+ rounds, clean the barrel..if in Humid...same as the action...
    ONE DROP of oil, applied with a fingertip all over the action...then ONE DROP applied by fingertip all over the bolt & inner action housing...
    LET AIR DRY, then re-assemble...that's all they ever need :)

Do Not overtighten the stock/action bolts...too tight an it'll bind the action...too loose and it'll change POI...
    so find the happy medium ;)
    Tighten until the bolt starts to stick lightly, then release in 1/4 turns until it racks free again without the action moving in the stock :)

(that's also why I pillar bed all my rifles...snug & ignore ;) gives you the same action/stock weld every time, which means better precision)

18. CLK-IDAHO

CLK-IDAHO Member

19. angusbangus

angusbangus New Member

Hi... dillonallen.com is my blog, so I appreciate the link and it was definitely a fun stock to install and shoot. If you're interested in seeing it, there is a follow-up post on how the Tactical Rifle Conversion Kit (TRCK) worked out - CQB Varmint Terminator - TRCK Review

The bottom line on this stock, however, is avoid it if you are looking for an accurate, reliable weapon. I wanted a lighter stock than the original with shorter LOP so my 6-year old could shoot it easily. I achieved both of those, but the trigger mechanism (for lack of a better word) sucks. I experience failures to fire at least once every magazine now (after a few hundred rounds through it). Therefore, I spend a lot more time clearing the weapon than I spend shooting it. Bleh. Loading the tube is also more painful/time consuming than I would expect for something that is supposed to be "tactical". It certainly isn't a sub 5-second mag change like you'd expect with an AR.

20. likearock

likearock Member

You'll be lucky to find a used one on ebay for less than $40. I shopped there for a month and finally bought one for $46. +shipping. It needed refinished. Maybe I was looking for one when everyone else was looking for one.