Stock?

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by wjjones, Jun 14, 2012.

1. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

Would a Marlin model 60SN stock fit an old Glenfield Marlin model 60?

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

it seems to be a standard M60 with a synthetic stock. to my way of thinking, it should fit with only some minor alterations if any. the M60 is basicly the same rifle that came out in 1960 with only some minor changes over the years.

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

What about a wood stock for the 60? The only ones I've been able to find are for the 795 and require fitting, but I am without power tools!

4. wjjones

I was thinking it should because it has the tube slot in the bottom like the old glenfield.

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

on Boyd's Gunstocks, they list the same stock for the M60 and the M795. on the M60 you have to remove the material at the forend of the magazine tube. on the M795, you remove the material ahead of the trigger for the box magazine. i can't remember it saying anything about the year models of the M60 other than having to remove some minor amount of material for the LSO feature on those so equipped. mine is somewhat older, about 1980's so it doesn't have the LSO feature on it.

Tcan, i would think it should be able to be done without power tools. a good round rasp to remove the bulk of the material, then progressive grades of sandpaper to finish it up. then some stain and sealer that is close to what is on it should work just fine.

6. tCan

tCan Active Member

Well, I may be litigating my way to an XT-22 or a 795 soon. We'll see.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i ahve seen some really good reviews on the XT22. they also have it in 22WMR which is the one i am interested in. prices are decent also.

8. tCan

tCan Active Member

I've never seen a use for 22WMR. But I've had my eye on an XT-22/17 for a while now.

Useful rifle caliber list:
    .22LR
    .17HMR
    .223/5.56 (though I prefer 7.62x39 in its place, or one of the newer intermediate cartridges like the Grendel or Blackout)
    Something like .308, .30-30 .30-06, etc.
    After that we start getting into material rifles, and how many people need one of those?

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i really don't have a need for a 22WMR, but want another bolt action rimfire, so a 22 WMR seems like a logical choice to go along with the 22lr pistol, the 22lr M60 and the Savage M93, 17HMR i already have. variety man, variety!

10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

You need to look at the newer ammo for .22WMR to see the booyah in it...
    there is most definitely .17HMR speed available but with a Bigger Bullet!!
    Hornady's V-max 30-grain runs 2200 FPS...and there are others...

Of course, there's still the 50-grain SMACK that a Federal Game-shok gives a coyote at 150-160 yards out of a Marlin 25MN or XT22MVSR :D
    I like DRT coyotes!!

For fast-followup results, find a Marlin 922M semi-auto .22WMR and pump bullets downrange with a quickness!!

Or there's the 1894M & 57M lever-actions...simple, effective, last forever :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  11. wjjones

I have a 795 with a 25rd mag, and the original 10rd I dont care much for the mag style I had it sold, and the guy didnt show. I guess I just like the old tube feed style better I have been looking at the new model 60sn. It is just like the old Glenfield except it only holds 14 rds.