Supply and Demand - Local Gun Shops

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by 28Shooter, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The run on the market started with the ARs, Mini 14s and M1As (all mostly "regulated" here in Maryland - waiting period, background check and psyche record check - averaging 28+ days right now), then it was the handguns (all regulated), and as that supply has dried up, it's now hunting rifles - semiautos, lever guns, bolts in .223, .308 and 30/06. The ammo for the popular calibers is about gone and there's no end in sight. My local shop had 12 handguns in the case and they sold 2 while I was there this afternoon. How are things in your area?

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

there are quite few hand guns at the local shop of various calibers. Ofcourse no AR,mini 14 or anything else wizz-bang. There are hunting rifles and even an old marlin but he wants a mint for it...The real issue is lack of ammo and re-loading supplies..

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Here in SW Missouri at my local shop he has plenty of handguns and continues to get more in. As of yesterday had one AR (S&W) in .223 and a .308 in (so called) assault style. On the used rack about 6 SKS and a couple Rem. auto in 30.06. His new rifle rack has the AR style .22s about 4 along with plenty of bolt rifles in all calibers. Even 4 M1s on consignment (they have been there all along with no takers). An AR on consignment but it is priced $800 over a new one so no takers on it either. He hasnt upped his prices any from what they were prior to the shortage. Ammo is good with the exception of .22lr and .223, its not availiable form any of his suppliers. I continue to get powder and primers but have had a turret press, dies, and some other items for reloading on order for 3 weeks now.

He has noticed an increase in revolver sales vice the autos, but still averages good sales EVERY DAY.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

it's bad everywhere right now, and will be for a while until most quit panic buying. ammo is being sold about as fast as it hits the shelf. so production just isn't keeping up with the demand currently.

5. 28Shooter

All the panic buying has made me give some thought to doing a bit of "safe cleaning" to raise funds for some other projects. I've been wanting a .375 H&H since I don't know when and the panic buyers are buying just about anything that goes bang. My local shopkeep has said he'd be happy to have the inventory and I could use the cash to fund a .375. I've been working the numbers and if I sold my unfired AR and a couple of handguns, I could easily afford a a used unfired Caprivi in .375 - French walnut and absolute beautiful guns (check out Gunbroker) or a nice Ruger with a Circassian walnut stock with a grand cash to the wife. Wifey-pooh seems to like Option 2 better - go figure. Hard to contemplate letting go any of the "safe babies".

6. SWO1

As you get older getting rid of some gets easier...:p Besides that AR wont stop that neighborhood Cape problem, trust me. We put over 100 .FMJ .308s in one in VietNam. Just made him madder. Had to take him down with a 40MM A.P. round from a M90 gernade launcher to the neck......:D

7. 28Shooter

First, thank you for your service over there and it's interesting that my cousin tells a similar story. Was there enough left for a barbeque?

8. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

After the 2nd amendment rally Saturday we went to a gun show. The prices were real bad for the AR/AKs, the plastic wonder handguns, and the collectables, but the revolvers were about right, and I did find two great deals. A NIB RIA 1911 government for only $449, and a very old Indian guy was selling a Win 94 custom. It was either brass or plated, engraved receiver and oct barrel and an engraved custom stock with full length fore stock. It was absolutely beautiful and looked brand new, but I couldn't get much out of the old guy because he was effectively deaf. I about cried at the $700 price. Without knowing anything about it I'd have bought it if I had the money. Does this rifle ring a bell for anyone?

9. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Guns in the Sedalia, MO area are moving off the shelves. Haven't witnessed any real 'price-gouging'. As for Modern Sporting Rifles and Kalashnikovs...GOOD LUCK with the prices should you find one. We have BlackDawn here and they make a fine MSR/M4 line. They're busting tail to keep a couple in their retail shop while others go elsewhere. They did have a stack of FN 30 round mags, but at around $40 w/tax, I figured I'd rather spend my $$$ on boolitz to fill prepped & primed case for the backlog on my bench. CMMG in Fayette, MO about 50 miles from here doesn't show one in stock in their own Retail/Range (Black Rifle LLC) in Columbia.

The small concealable pistols appear to be selling the best, but as Duster noted revolvers seem like there's plenty to be had with still reasonable, maybe very slight increases in costs. Forget about a 'home defense' scatter gun. Easier to buy a long-barreled one and have a smithy cut it down then thread it for some kind of adjustable choke if you want any other use out of it!

Ammo - 2 of the 3 storefront gun retailers in town have 7.62X39s. One jacked up the price, while the other is holding it to his previous price level. I expect IF & WHEN things settle down and Mfgs start to fill some orders we'll never see any cartridges or shells at what I'd call reasonable.

I saw Norinco SKSs (like my stock-issue 89 dollar special) that were listed at $800 and another at $1100 on an auction site. Yep...there's enough stupids out there that will eventually fork over 5-10 times what weapons were running.

I may take a brother-in-law to the Gun show this wkend at the MO State Fair Grounds. Gonna cost me $20 just to get us both in the door. That money could be put into buying precious metals. I need 1000 rounds of .22LRs for Family Day at the Range on 15 June. $24/box for Eley TenX ain't gonna cut it! GOOD DAY ALL!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. sandlynx

sandlynx Member

In my area, ammo is selling off the shelves. They can't keep supplied and are back-ordered for months. One gun shop received an order of 10 ARs and sold them all in under 20 minutes.
    I looked at a website where I buy lots of ammo. They have a shot of their warehouse and it's usually full. This time. they had a pic of the warehouse and it was nearly bare. They specialize in ammo for "assault" type rifles, .223, .308. 545 x 39, etc.

11. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

My son-in-law works for AcuSport. They are a wholesale supplier of guns, ammo & other hunting/shooting accessories. They are working around the clock with receiving, stocking, picking and shipping to retailers. He is working 10 hour days, Monday - Friday and 8 hours on Saturday and they still can't catch up on the orders. Inventory shipped runs from 2.7 - 3.0 million dollars per day. They have days when they receive 10 million dollars a day in orders. I don't know how many wholesalers there are but there are gun shops scattered all over the country. Distribution must be a nightmare.

12. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Someone pointed out in another site: If a ban doesn't go thru and a year or so after things settle, there are going to be a lot of good deals in the used market as many of these new to guns panic buyers decide to unload their rarely or never used gun.:D

13. SWO1

I didn't go to the gun show in Springfield this weekend. Talked to the shop owners brother who did on Sunday Afternoon. Vendors had STACKS of AR mags and accessories. ALL over priced (at least double) Auto pistols were also about 20-40% high. Revolvers were still reasoniable and plentiful. Ammo was good with the exception of .22 and .223. Bricks of .22 were going for 80-90 bucks.

The parking lot was full of private sellers with their ARs. Almost all were asking $2000 and up. My shop is still selling them for around 11-1200. Gets about 2-4 in a week. I know of quirte a few trying to sell theirs at sucker prices and so far still have them. Hope they end up eating them....:rolleyes:

14. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Roger that on eating them. Kinda like fishing, the longer the baits in the water...the better the odds of catching a carp, when all else fails! To many sales on Guns America that show's the bottom feeders will suck in what they think they want...and can get. How about the price on the one Ultra-custom MSR from the SHOT Show that sold on Gun Broker for $136,000.00 (I think that's what I remember seeing) with two guys from Cabela's holding/admiring it? Don't have a clue who the buyer was. That's a pretty decent house and a little bigger lot here!