Taurus Firearms

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by axxe55, Jan 25, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

here is my Taurus Tracker 44 magnum, 5 shot with 4" ported barrel and Hogue Monogrips. this is the only pistol at the time i reload for. i shoot 180gr 44 specials and 240gr 44 magnums in it. with the ported barrel it is very easy to control and pretty accurate.

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Those Trackers look real nice...and .44 is THE caliber to have !!

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

shooter, this is the first 44 magnum i have ever owned, but after shooting it with it having the ported barrel, i was amazed at how easy it is to shoot compared to those i shot in the past without ported barrels. but it sure is loud! i even shoot hot magnum loads, and they can even be shot one handed. i really enjoy shooting it a lot, and have tried to get my dad to shoot it, but he says he will stick with his 357 magnum. he say that it's plenty enough in the recoil department!

4. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I have a 4" 627 Tracker, 357, and a 44m Blackhawk. The Taurus is a very nice shooting gun. The Blackhawk is thus far a handful. I'm asking cause I'm try to figure the 44 out. Does that 44 Tracker really shoot real good? Am I or my Blackhawk broken? Or maybe I just need to shoot more 44, cause could be I'm a bit wimpy with a 44.:eek:

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

duster, i shoot pretty well with the Tracker, but most of the control i have with it comes from the fact that the barrel is ported which helps with recoil and i replaced the grips with Hogue Monogrips which also help a bunch. i can hit a 4" group at 25 feet all day with it one handed. i could never achieve this with an unported barrel. the drawback to the ported barrel is the muzzle blast and sound, it's really, really loud! the Blackhawk isn't ported from the factory, but i have seen some that have been, and porting the barrel makes a huge difference in felt recoil. grips make a huge difference also. try some different grips and see if this doesn't help you out some.

6. duster066

I do think grips will help a lot. With the 7.5" barrel I'm pretty sure it's torquing in my hand before the slug clears the barrel. If I put a death grip on it I get better groups.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

7.5" barrel is long and heavy and could have some effect on your accuracy just because it is heavier. do you shoot it one or two handed? with that length of barrel it might be better suited shooting from a rest. mine is a 4" barrel, and i usually prefer a revolver with a 6" barrel at the longest. just my preference. the Ruger Blackhawk is a heavy pistol and probably weighs somewhat more than my Taurus Tracker. anything i can help you with on this let me know.

8. duster066

I think I agree. The weight is likely a factor as well. I shoot it free hand two handed, and from a rest. The only thing that has improved accuracy is load and the death grip. The gun torques in my hand with each shot and I must regain the grip making follow up shots on a charging bear unlikely. For that reason I'm still carrying a 357 for trail protection. I was better the last time out, and get better each time.

You know what? I'm sure grips will help a lot. Since I'm thinking about it I'm going to order a set right now. Then I'll know.

9. duster066

Hogue grip on the way. Ordered a Mauser action wrench too.:D

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

you will like the Hogue grips. they are nice. the Pachmyer grips are good too, but they didn't have them that would fit the newer Taurus pistols, just the older ones.

is the wrench for your project 25-06 rifle?

11. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

001.jpg
    Taurus 905, a good little shooter

12. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Very nice guys! I've never had the opportunity to shoot a .44 from a pistol.

13. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I thought all you Texans had at least one .44 in the gun safe...only question to ask was whether of not it was a magnum, special, or your granddaddy's 44-40.

14. duster066

Yup. I'm having to scrounge the bucks for it, so it's going slow. I still need the finish ream, go no go gauges, a stock, and a mag spring and follower. Oh and of course dies, brass...it never ends.:)

15. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Austin come up to my neck of the woods and you can shoot mine and once you do, you will want a 44 Magnum pistol!

16. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

duster hang in there buddy! check out MidwayUSA for your tools as they have great prices on their stuff. they carry a lot of parts for the Mauser rifles too. check out Boyd's Gunstocks for a stock. i have bought two from them so far and am very pleased with their quality. their prices are very reasonable too. any help i can be with your project just let me know and i will assist if possible.

17. duster066

Thanks, when I get all the parts and get started I'll keep you up dated. I do use Midway USA. There prices and inventory are excellent, and when I learned he is ex Air Force that moved him to the top.;)

18. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i like Midway too. they are usually my first choice when buying online with the selection, prices, service, and fast shipping. another good one is MidSouth Shooters Supply, not near the selection as Midway, but good service, prices are pretty close to Midway and also fast shipping. i use them if Midway is out of stock on something inn particular i need or want. Midway has a better selection of gun specific parts and accessories though. keep us updated on the build, very curious as to how the build turns out.