Tell me whatw you think - bit of a rant

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Mauserhooked, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

I recently purchased an M1 carbine stock and handguard from a person on Ebay. The price was right and the stock was going to be used as a "range stock" to keep from messing up the excellent stock that the rifle is now wearing. I received the stock yesterday and it had been packaged/shipped by the seller as follows: Only covered in several thicknesses of wrapping paper and sent to me via USPS. In my opinion, a combination just asking for damage. Well, here is how it arrived prior to opening it:

IMG_2861 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

Here is the damaged stock that was in the wrapper (I didn't even have to tear any additional paper to get the stock/handguard out:

IMG_2864 (640x480).jpg

IMG_2867 (640x480).jpg

Now, no doubt the USPS animals put this package through hell. However, my opinion of the way it was packaged/shipped by the seller was just asking for trouble/damage. No box, not bubble wrap, just a loose stock wrapped in a little bit of paper. It is ironic that a stock that made it through WWII and Korea in originally decent shape, didn't survive a negligent shipper and the USPS. I have turned the matter over to my credit card company, PayPal, and Ebay but I am curious as to your feelings about the way it was packaged by the seller.

2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I feel for you. The packaging job was unacceptable. The good thing is that you have pictures. I would give the seller a chance to make it right, if they don't hopefully eBay, PayPal or your credit card company will help.

You need to be clear with what you want. Do you want an undamaged stock, your money back, or some type of deal where you get a refund and fix the broken stock?

If you get no satisfaction from the seller, email them the eBay feedback you will leave and let them know you will post their eBay name all over gun forums with the warning about bad packaging.

Good kuck.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I feel we should expect it to be better package than what way it was sent.Give them both hell.

4. Mauserhooked

MattNH and Four, I appreciate your comments and couldn't agree more. I have told the seller that I want to return the stock for a full refund and he has emphatically replied that I should not return it to him. His contention is that the USPS damaged the stock (regardless of how he packaged it) and I am left to deal with them. The seller has washed his hands of the transaction. What he doesn't know is that I have already been in contact with my credit card company, the transaction is now in dispute, and I will be receiving a credit for the purchase. I'm not trying to get a reduction in the price of the stock. At this point I just want to return it to him and get back to square one with the whole transaction. In all my years of ordering guns, stocks, and parts through the internet, this is the first time I have run into a situation like this. I guess I've been very lucky to this point. I still have the stock and packaging materials and just waiting on the credit card company to tell me to ship it back to him. I'm just looking for verification that I am not being a jerk in this situation and your comments have helped. Thanks.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Not being a jerk by a long shot. Make sure you give him a poor rating too,there's no call for shipping it that way.

6. Mauserhooked

squirrelhunter, thanks for the vote of confidence. Rest assured he will be rated accordingly on Ebay with the small amount of space they give you to provide feedback.

7. Truckman

Truckman Well-Known Member

Totally unacceptable!!!!! And totally shippers fault!!
    Whenever I ship anything, I pack it so it can't be damaged short of the truck running it over. Package handlers routinely throw items, as well as stacking things on top of them. They usually don't even see "FRAGILE" stickers on them.
    Shipper needs to refund price. Most items are already insured for $50 (I think) any thing of more value should be insured for it's worth.

8. Mauserhooked

Thanks for the comments, Truckman. Seller is still being a butt, however, I'm sure it will all work out when my credit card company doesn't pay the disputed charge. I finally broke down and submitted the USPS insurance claim since the seller wouldn't (great customer service). If the insurance pays off, which isn't guaranteed since it was packaged so poorly by the seller, I will have my credit card company reinstitute the payment to the seller. I'm not trying to make anything on this transaction - just trying to stay whole in the deal. The classy thing for the seller to have done would have been first, package the stock appropriately; second, approve taking the item back after it was damaged and reported to him (with pictures); third, refund the charge; and fourth, file the insurance claim himself. Oh, I might as well include a fifth, and that would be to not be a butt with this transaction.