The .17 super magnum ??

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by oldbrass, Jan 16, 2013.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

This new wizz-bang rimfire suppose to go 3000 +- fps. Anyone fired one?

2. kybeagle

kybeagle Member

From what I've read, ammo and guns will be available beginning in April. Anybody interested should probably get on their dealer's waiting list now. I can imagine the demand will be pretty overwhelming.

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

There Savage at the shot show says they wont be able to keep up with demand

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v74JZ2ikDI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

4. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Oh great! Another rocket fast small caliber round I'd love to own, but wont be able to find.

1st there is the PMR30...unavailable
    2nd the TCM-22...good luck finding one
    And now a rocket fast .17 cal. Damn!:rolleyes:

Removed link already posted.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I don't intentionally go out looking for small vermin. So....I think I will stick with my .243win for the occasional coyote hunt.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

another one i need....err want i mean! if it truly can live up to what it's advertised as being able to achieve, i may have to get one and try it out.

7. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I`d have no need for one of these . I can`t see spending good ammo money on a wizz-bang gun that serves no purpose what so ever..I can`t wait to to check one out !!!!

8. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I have zero need either. But I do like small light slugs that go fast. When I bought my 925M I was considering the Savage 17HMR bolt gun with accutrigger. I wanted a 22mag for it's 100 yard performance but wanted the Savage trigger. Now there is a 17 super mag with the cool trigger...hmmm.

9. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

I just researched that one. Proported to be about 30 cents per round...$15 a box of 50 and since it's a rimfire...ONE & done. I ran across some comments on a site during my look-up. Humm...the Hornady Hornet 17 tears the pants of in ballistic performance with a 20gr boolit, but the cost of ammo is $1 for each round. May not be too bad considering the cases are reloadable, when all things are considered and a fella could afford the start-up costs for yet another caliber on his bench. 3000fps Super Mag versus 3650fps for the HornDaddy. In pre-panic mode, I think either would be a conversation started at the minimum and on a windless day, make a heck of a toy to punch paper, plastic or hides at 300+ ranges. Hornady Hornet still moving at more than 1700 at 400yds carrying 131 ft lbs. beats most .22LRs at the muzzle. Oh to hit the jackpot and create my arsenal of entertaining toys & tools.

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Spoon, it seems you came across some of the same information as i did.

i am really liking that 17 Hornet as well! it does have the advantage of being able to reload it over the new 17 WSM, but at $15 a box of 50, that's not much more than i'm spending now for 17 HMR ammo.

really a kind of tossup as you said. in a perfect world, i would own both of them!:D

11. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

axxe - Buy two of each and send the "spare set" for me to test drive! I think these both would be a blast to test both the cartridges and the shooter's abilities.

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

well sounds like a decent idea! if i can convince the wife that i need the extra one, i'll let you know something.:D

well she just saw this and no way Jose! sorry.:eek:

13. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

DARN IT ALL! But thanks for trying! When you get one, post your thoughts.

Thanks,

Spoon