The Chronograph Thread !!

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SWO1, Nov 18, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

With the discussion of chronographs on another thread and myself and others in the process of obtaining one thought it would be a good subject and a source of some more good info. Some on here already use them and I know will as always provide great input for us novice users.

I am seriously planning on optaining this one: At just over $100 the reviews are real good and with the remote readout on the bench, ability to store 6 - 10 round string data and to upload it to a computer/balistics program. I will be pouring a concrete pad in front of my shooting benches and have a camera tri-pod to mount it on.

Attached Files:

2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Once you own one you are gonna be asking yourself..."Why didn't I do this sooner?"

The number #1 tip for all new users is no bullets through the blue box!!:D

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Yup...seen that happen !! :rolleyes:

4. SWO1

Fist question for all you old "Chrony" users......:D

Have read some on Sun/light reflection causing errent ballistic readings. What about using a Sun/light Shade over the unit ?? I know they sell them as an option or of course can alway erect your own....since mine will be at a permenent location.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I asked the owner of the archery range

6. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

SWO1...Yes that is correct. For some reason a cloudless day with bright sunlight can cause the Chony to not even detect the bullets as they pass the screens. Since mine is the older style with the cardboard shooting template it has a sunshade as part of the set up. A slight overcast is ideal. If it is not to windy you can rig an umbrella over your chronograph. You are just trying to keep the direct sunlight off your machine so a light colored fabric on the umbrella is best. You should also be a minimum of 8 feet away because of muzzle blast....even more for big magnum rifles.

7. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

SWO1. That looks just like the one that I have.
    I have the Chrony F-1. Seems to meet all of my needs. Like anything else, you could pay more but this one works for me.
    Just follow the directions when setting up. Make sure it is the appropriate distance from the muzzle based on the caliber.
    Mine is a little touchy about how high or low I shoot over the photo-eyes. Once I found the sweet spot, all went well. ;)

8. SWO1

greyhawk50..this one is the Chrony Beta Master. Only difference is I think, comes with the remote readout and a 30' cable.

I have downladed the manual and have been reading on the setup. Says at least 10' out. I plan on pouring a concrete pad from 8' to 18' out. I have a camera tripod to mount it on as they suggest. It says to mark the rabbit ears at 2" up from the box with tape and with a scope aim 2" up from there. I was thinking of putting up a piece of cardboard with a cutout to see the target thru and sight in on it at the approiate distance out. Shoot and see how far BELOW the bullet actully is from the muzzle. I will do this with each caliber I test....just to be safe. Of all the reviews and remarks I have read on the Chronys....NO BAD ONES other than the ones who seem to cant operate or understand the theory of a rock. Even had one guy put a round thru the box and said it STILL WORKS....:eek: I'll just take his word on it !!

9. greyhawk50

Here is the link to Midway USA and it has several reviews.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/531741/shooting-chrony-f1-chronograph
    Mine came with the remote readout with the cable connect. Don't remember how long the cable is but plenty long enough to reach the bench from 10'-12' out.
    Sound like you're on the right track. I'm sure that you will totally enjoy using it.
    I've even measured my pellet guns with it. Actually, the pellet guns were what I used to test the unit and learn how to set it up. Not much muzzle blast from an air gun. :rolleyes:

10. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Beta Master Chrony

I have one and it is very good. I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to using it. There is so much it will do. I want to get the printer next. Looks better than writing the data on paper or in a log, is scan-able and quick.

11. SWO1

I debated also about adding the printer. Today I am going back to Sierra Bullets for more lead. Will check on their Ballistics program. It dosnt say on the web site if it will download from a chrony. I noticed last trip they have it in the outlet shop. I figure if I get all the data into a Ballistics Program I can print what ever I want. Besides I can always import it into a spreatsheet/database and do my own reports/tables to suit me. It would be nice to compile a reloading manual with my own ammo like those in the commercial publications. There are things in the Lee, Lyman, and Sierra manuals I like and some things I want that are not there.

And hombre you are right about all the info they will provide. A lot more than I can digest in probley the rest of my lifetime. But it will be fun trying.

12. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

I have one and it works great. I shot one of the metal wire sunscreen supports and fixed it in the field with a the tip off a branch.
    The only problems I had were when trying to chrono later in the evening when the sun is headed towards the horizon.

13. hombre243

Beta Master

You mentioned wounding your Chrony. (My Grampa did that too playing William Tell but that is another story.)

I carry some 1/4? inch wood dowels just in case the wind blows my bullet into a support and ruins it. I hate it when I just get going good and something messes up, and I don't have a contingency planned. I have 2 sets. One for the short length, and a set that is full sized. The tall ones are a bit whippy, so one of these days I may make some out of heavier dowel if I can figure out how to shave the tips to fit the mounting holes. I could use a pocket knife but if I get caught whittling I might get put to work.

14. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

It would be nice to have one, then I would know what's really going on with my loads, I know they are accurate, and I know what the manuals say, but it would be nice to have actual FPS. :rolleyes:

15. greyhawk50

Due to using the 12 step program to reduce my firearm inventory, I gave my chrony to my son last month. He has more use for it than I and it can be borrowed at any time.
    The Chrony that I "had" came with a remote readout and sun shades that needed to be assembled. Each shade had 3 interlocking pieces and the wires. I put the readout, shades, owners manual along with pad and pencil in a carry case for easy transport. I also used a camera tri-pod.
    For a quicker set-up. I bent #9 wire (the old telephone wire) to resemble the factory shade and then layered duct tape across the top to create the shade. For cloudy days, I simply used the marker flags that utility companies use to mark underground cables. On all the shades, I used electrical tape to mark the sweet spots on the wires. This made it easier to set up.
    I could be mistaken but I believe that the chrony measures the elapse time of a projectile passing over 2 photo sensors. As I understand it, the photo sensors are not photo eyes nor do they project a beam. They simple gather available light and read the shadow created by the projectile and the vortex created by the projectile passing through the air. This is why they won't work inside without an optional light source mounted over the sensors. It is also why they won't work on a very sunny day when the sun is overhead. The sensors are flooded with light and can't detect the projectile, thus the need for the shade.
    If anyone has a better understanding, please enlighten us.

16. hombre243

I agree...that is how it was explained to me. Makes sense about too bright of light on a sunny day. Kind of like using a flash on a camera in a bright setting...washes out the detail, and even the image. Since the photo eyes are so sensitive, it makes sense that bright sun would wash out the shadow. Great explanation. Thanks

17. SWO1

I got mine for Xmas...:D You are right grey, looking up the long version of "how it works"

They are nothing more than a very fast and accurate stop watch. The photo sensors start and stop the timer as the shadow of the bullet (or projectile) pass over it. Since the unit knows how far apart the sensors are its a simple calculation as to the speed. Whats amazing is is this little $100 unit has more computing power with a lot more accuracy than was availiable with that "room sized" computer used to figure naval gunfire trajectory in the 30s & 40s.

This cronograph information with the Sierra trajectory software program will calculate (and I told by the Sierra techs) very, very close the trajectory tables for my reloads.

18. Plumber

Plumber Well-Known Member

The first day I took my new Beta Master Chrony to the range, there was a gentleman there with a Chrony, with a different color remote. When I asked him how he got one like that, he said, "you don't want to get one the way I did". When he went from the 100 yard target to the 25 yard (lower target) he didn't lower his Chrony. When he ordered a new Chrony he got the one without the remote, since he already had the remote.

This is what I came up with, to deflect rim fire rounds.

Attached Files:

19. hombre243

Long range chrony-ing???

I do not see the sense of chronographing long range shots...especially with a rimfire. (If I am understanding how your friend messed up his Chrony) I think it was a DOH!!! and maybe some DUH!! mixed in. However it happened, I bet he doesn't make the same mistake again.

20. SWO1

So far the only "malfunctions" seem to be the ones that occur between the small space between the ears of the user.....:eek: These we all suffer from time to time. Hopefully I can keep mine to near misses. Good info on all the posts so far.