The "Great Bawana"

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Sep 3, 2014.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Monday evening while sitting on the back porch the youngest, Cameron was watching a couple of Tree rats in the trees. He said, Im going to have squirrel for super. got out a 22 for him. the bushy tail was about 35 yards out, with the gun steadied on the porch rail ........ HE MISSED. He sat for another hour and a half and nothing showed. Yesterday as soon as he got home form school at 1600 ...... back out. Stayed till dark .....AGAIN NOTHING. Now this evening he's at it again. After 30 minutes came in, stripped off his clothes and took a shower. He was covered in seed ticks. Now sitting back on the porch .... in his shorts. He must be getting pretty hungry by now, he just went in to get something to eat ........ ;)

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Just tell him to sit there and act like a nut and the squirrel will come to him...or laugh itself out of the tree and break its neck .

3. SWO1

He does act like a nut ..... that's his main malfunction. typical 13 year old.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Oh to be young again ------ wait, never mind. LOL
    Gotta love them young'ns.
    As they said on "Alaska, the last frontier"; Teach them all you can and never stop loving them.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Sometimes you feel like a nut sometimes you don`t said the squirrel....get him some Bullwinkle cammo that`ll bring them in

6. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Well it is good to see he doesn't give up easy. You could tell him to hang an ear of corn on that thar tree.

7. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

That, or a bird feeder.....

8. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

Good luck to the youngster.

9. SWO1

The saga continues .....

Picked up a Bushnell 4X scope and mounted it on the Marlin 60 for The Great Bawana. Used one of those laser sights you stick in the bore. It looked right on for windage and a little high. Went to the range and had him shoot a 5 round group with CCI SV. Right on in windage and 2.5" low. Put on 12 clicks up and another 3 shot group. Just moved up about .5" Cranked on 40 more up and DEAD CENTER at 25 yards, a .25" group. Moved the frame back to 30 yards. Two more 3 shot groups and they were .25" high. Moved the frame to 35 yards and group was 3/8" high. He wanted to crank down the elevation and I said NO, NO. Shoot two more groups and hold about .25" low of intended POI. THAT put them right on at 30 and 35. I told him he would have to KNOW HOW to estimate distance when hunting. He cant go cranking on clicks when the squirrel or rabbit changes distance. since he is shooting from the deer stand take the laser sighter and shoot known trees from the stand and then you will know. So he's back out in the morning with new found confidence, and BOASTING OF COURSE ..... :rolleyes: With the way the gun, ammo, and him are shooting shouldn't be a squirrel safe in my woods. Tune back in for further developments .......... :D

OOps forgot to add he also shot some groups at 50 ........ right on. I told him his peak of the bullet arc was somewhere in between 35 and 50. Hold POI at 25 and 50, hold off .25" low at 30 & 35. Should still be within .25" at around 40-45 with a POI hold.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. SWO1

Woke Bawana up at 0640, he stayed over last night. He stuck his head out from under the covers, asked what the temp was. told him it was 45 ..... I think I will go out about 0800 ...... ;) and crawled back under.

11. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Great story, keep it going.

The bullet arc thing....I was explaining it to the 3 kids. The oldest, 16 year old AP Calculus student, was way over thinking it. The 11 year old got him situated.

12. SWO1

I came home at 3, pulled into my parking spot under a big oak tree. Hanging for a limb there he was ...... I HAD TO SMILE. A small Grey. Had him hanging like a deer ....... LOL. Now he is skinning and cleaning it. Said he will go back out again later. Took him at 13 yards, yes he shot the distance with the laser. Single shot thu the top of the neck just behind the head. He took his first deer on opening day at 0830, a ten pointer. Has taken turkey. Over a week to get his first squirrel ...... LOL

Attached Files:

13. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Lol. Great story and congratulate him for me. Stiff as that thing is, it looks as if it's already been mounted. Lol

14. SWO1

Said he got it early morning. Had it hanging where he knew I would see it. Well that's ends this saga. He is now a Veteran Tree Rat hunter. Its cut up and soaking in the fridge. Hes back in the morning to amass at least 6 before the BIG FEAST .... FIRED Squirrel, gravy made form the cracklins, fried taters and corn bread. Next on his BIG GAME list is Bugs Bunny I guess ....... :D He's a great kid and I love him to death.

15. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

That is great! I have six grandsons myself and they are a never ending source of entertainment!

16. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

SW01, please pass along my congratulations to him. Nice job!

17. SWO1

Thanks everyone for the kind words. He got another one this morning. I told him he had to be in early as have to cut some more fire wood for the week long camping/fishing trip starting Monday morning. Oh and he has the pelt curing to hang on his wall with his first rack and Turkey Fan ... :p

18. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

That squirrel looks like the shot paralyzed him in a run.
    No doubt your grandson has more fun than some of his buddies have with their grandpa. I bet his buddies are envious of him and the great hunting adventures he is having. Telling about your first is always a wonderful memory and bragging rights.
    I bet he will be telling his kids about their great grandpa. City kids don't know what they are missing in so many ways. It's great ya'll are having such good times together.

19. SWO1

Body count is now "4", that's 3 today and he is back out again , daily limit here is 10..... lol. He was wondering if there was a squirrel call ...... he didn't ask me he googled it. He came up with 2 Quarters and you rub the edges together. Said he rested them on the 1X4" rail in the stand. He said they "came a runnin" I don't doubt him as he has "the proof", hanging in the tree no less ..... :D I've never tried to call em, just sit and wait. He showed me on the porch rail ......IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE Bushy tail Chatter.

Yesterday and today he has had deer within 20 yards of the stand, on 3 occasions, and a Turkey last week.

20. SWO1

Bawana has now branched out to TRAPPING. He wanted to build a rabbit box trap. Rabbit season don't start till Oct 1 and its still a little warm even then for em. So I showed him how to make the trap. First we built one a little smaller he will put out for Squirrel. He tested it on one of the cats and works great. The cat didn't think so ...... :D He put it out this evening with bird seed and sunflower seeds as bait. We put a wire mesh window in one side so if its sprung you call tell whats inside. Nothing like opening the door and find a SKUNK or other unwanted critter. My grandfather showed me that. He now carries the Little H&R 9 shot .22 revolver to dispatch game in the trap. He went out about an hour ago to sit in the deer stand and WATCH his trap. I thought I heard a shot as I started this post. Will soon find out as it fast getting dark.