the new bench

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by oldbrass, Jan 3, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

002.jpg

well here`s the new bench I threw together this past weekend, its small but it works, put some ammo together so now its range time.

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That's great.

Is it in a spare bedroom?

3. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Looks nice :cool:

4. oldbrass

Thanx, and yes its in a spare bedroom we use for hobbies and such. If I ever want to move it the bench and shelves are only fastened to the wall with 8 wood screws, however its very stable.

5. 1895gunner

1895gunner Well-Known Member

Very nice oldbrass...... That will do you no matter how much you reload. I'm lucky and have a huge room but I'm using folding tables, I like your wood bench better...

Tonight I reloaded 50 rounds of 45 Colt, 40 rounds of 450 and 40 rounds of 45/70. Tumbled brass for the 444 so maybe some of them tomorrow. Gotta love reloading the big bores.

1895gunner

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your bench with us. That's a nice set-up.
    My bench is rather simple. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

Attached Files:

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

this was my birthday present to myself last year. i was getting crowded in my office and hobby room in the house. so i had thought about moving it all to the garage, but decided not to on account then i wouldn't have a place to do work on our vehicles. so i decided to get a dedicated building just for reloading and working on guns. i bought this building in a 10'x14' size. i built some of the work benches and moved an old desk that use to be my fathers in there also. so far it has worked out pretty good. besides the wife wasn't happy about having gunpowder in the house!

Attached Files:

8. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Nice - Very Nice!!!
    Thanks for sharing.

Grey

9. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

That's state of the art Axxe55....nice.

10. oldbrass

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks guys. it's not really state of the art! but is a huge improvement over the room that was also my home office. it sure was getting crowded! the building wasn't too expensive, i think it was about $2400 + tax. i have a wireless router in the office and the building is only 30 feet from the house, so i can take the laptop out there and research gun information or load data from the web.

12. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Axxe nice set up! I have a question does the humidity mess with your powder I'm not sure what kind of climate kind of your in.I just wonder how im going to store my powder in my garage.

13. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks FOUR. as it's not heated or cooled, i usually load very lat at night after i get home from work during the summer and usually during the day on a nice and decent day during the winter. so far, i haven't had any issue with humidity. just keep the powder in it's container, with lid on tight and only open when you are actually loading powder and keep it in a cool dry place and you will be all right.

14. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Mine is multi functional and rarely this clean:D.

[​IMG]

15. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Some of you are obviously better wood workers than I am. Nothing I've ever done with wood could ever be construed as "furniture".

Mine's in our unfinished basement with my office. A few carpet remnants makes it livable and a dehumidifier insures moisture stays away since we use a humidifier upstairs during the winter.

Reloading-Smithing Bench.jpg
    Reloading-Smithing Bench1.jpg

16. oldbrass

Hey rooster how do you like those press mounts, do they work good ??

17. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

They work really nice. I was skeptical at first so I only bought one. After mounting and using to reload some 45-70 for a stress test I was impressed. I ordered a second on the next order of supplies/parts from MidwayUSA. I have to pull the primer catcher tube off the turret press ram to store it like you see. Most times I deprime before tumbling so the turret hasn't needed the tube yet.

The board you see lying under the bench on the floor is my old mounting plate for the Lee PPM and C press when I started reloading about 6 years ago on a folding table. I used C-clamps to mount the board to the folding table like you have for your powder measure. It worked fine, except for a little table flex, until I scrounged enough free particle board to make a heavy bench. The bench is 36x84 to give me plenty of elbow room. I had to build the top outside and bring in to put the legs on. Too big for doorways.

I've been trying to determine how I can use it to mount the MEC Sizemaster to one of those pads. I've even used a glass of George Dickel on the rocks for brain power but haven't settled on a good solution yet. The MEC base is wider and deeper than the mounting pads. I'd have to install a thin spacer on top of the pad to clear the clamp plates, then a wider/longer pad to the top of the spacer and bolt the MEC to that. Not sure if the part of the MEC base furthest from the edge of the table would bounce up and down given the leverage of the reloader. The MEC handle is up high versus below table height on a metallic reloader press. Right now there are (4) 1/4" holes in the table to mount the MEC with on the occasions I reload shotshells. Takes about 5 minutes to mount or demount it. I can reload a case of shotshells in about an hour and a half so it doesn't need to stay mounted for long.

18. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

rooster, you may not be a woodworker, but you still built a nice looking workbench! lots of room and lots of storage space. very nice!

19. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

update to my gun shed.

i recently made some improvements an added some new shelves in order to make better use of the space i had.

Attached Files:

20. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

A place for things and things in their place! Nice 'upgrade'. Make some of us a wee bit jealous? Too neatly kept ;)