The Story of My 25N 22LR

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by priell3, Mar 19, 2014.

1. priell3

priell3 Member

So last summer, a neighbor of a friend ran afoul of the law and had to relinquish his firearms. I was asked if I wanted a rifle that was in the back of a closet for years. Who am I to turn down a freebie? It was a Marlin 25N, .22 LR.

It was dusty and a bit rusty but nothing too bad. Bluing was pretty much gone from the barrel, but the bore looked great after I scrubbed it. The stock was sound except for one small nick on the forend though it had been varnished. The action was rust free and working good after cleaning and lubrication. There was white paint on the bolt handle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. priell3

priell3 Member

I decided to give the old gun a facelift.

Worn stock with runs in the varnish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. priell3

priell3 Member

Sanded clean and smooth.
    [​IMG]

Refinished in Red Mahogany and sealed with clear satin spar urethane.
    Rust on barrel removed with 000 steel wool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. priell3

priell3 Member

000 steel wool took care of the rust and other ugly parts, then I gave it a few coats of Outers Gun Blue and mounted an old 4X scope on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. priell3

priell3 Member

Range results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is now one of my favorite rimfire guns.

6. cynergyzed

cynergyzed New Member

Awsome!! I'm looking to buy a model 25. Very accurate rimfire!!

7. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

That red stain sure brought out the grain .in the stock. Beautiful!!! You for sure have a shooter.

MARLINITUS; An untreatable disease, usually resulting in an empty bank account!

8. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Great job on the rifle. Seems to shoot pretty dang well. Would make a good Sporter Class gun for bench rest. Try some Standard Velocity Lead round nose and I bet the groups improve a lot. How is the trigger on it ?

9. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

You done a great job. I really like the way it turned out. Very impressive and it's a shooter as well. Thanks for sharing. We like pictures.

10. priell3

priell3 Member

Next time out I will shoot target loads.

I have never paid much attention to trigger pull. I just know it goes bang when I squeeze it. :)

11. Nogoat

Nogoat Well-Known Member

Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

12. phantom_geo

phantom_geo Member

Nice work! I have the same gun and it is a great little gun. I am sure it's a lot of fun.

13. Trektoy2

Trektoy2 Member

I just got three Marlins from a police auction, the worst was 50.00. Very dirty, little rust, stock in bad condition, medallion was dark, the trigger was dirty. Redid the stock, steel wooled the barrel, cleaned the medallion. ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1401414352.348495.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1401414374.600846.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1401414395.933207.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1401414406.280343.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1401414420.618754.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1401414436.294315.jpg ImageUploadedByMarlin Forum1401414457.522900.jpg

14. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Very good job. I absolutely love watching misused weapons brought back to life! Its a crying shame that they are let go to that condition. People who would misuse a gun like that probably treat their family like that too.

15. Trektoy2

Trektoy2 Member

You are quite right I bet, if that is how you treat a gun then that is how you live your life probably. I have bought quite a few from the local police auctions and they are all just about the same. Very dirty, to the point the actions almost won't work, the plastic pusher in the rod is broken, the stocks are torn up. That and sitting in a police impound does not help either.

16. phantom_geo

phantom_geo Member

On the job:

[​IMG]

I put the old 25n to work this year on the trapline. Really nice to carry and shoots great.

17. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Great restorations! You guys do excellent work! It gives you great satisfaction to bring one back to life. I guess that's why I like old military surplus weapons so much. I always take a lot of pride in the finished product.