Thinkin about another .223 for Hunting

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by SWO1, Mar 17, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I'm gonna load up some 65 gr BTs in .223 and give it a go for deer season this year. I really don't want to lug the Marlin 7XVH to the woods so am looking at another one just for hunting. So far have a couple in mind.

A new Rossi Wizard. My GS has one with wood stock. Not the best finish or fit in the world but it does feel great. Nice high cheek rest on a MonteCarlo stock. And can add more barrels for a bigger selection of calibers...Price $264.

He has a Savage 340 BA with a Weaver 7X. It was his daughters gun. Says has less than 300 rds thru it. I havnt looked at it yet...next week. Last made in the 80s. Reviews on em says for the most part good shooters. 3 rd box mag. Good shape, minor scratches on stock. Price $399.

Any Thoughts ??????????????

2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's because I'm older or smarter now, but I'm all about the weight. I really like the lighter shorter rifles. My marlin short carbines have become very attractive.

How much do the Wizards weigh? I have seen them on the auction sites and they look interesting. Especially the interchangeable barrels. I'm not a big fan of the .223 for deer hunting, but a Wizard in .243 would certainly cover a lot of hunting situations.

The Savage 340 is a pretty nice economy grade rifle. I have handled a few of them, but never owned one. The Wizard might be a better choice, because you could start with the .223 and than add other calibers later.

3. SWO1

All the Rossi guns are 7 lbs. and have a 23" barrel. Besides the Wizzard they also have a Heavy Barrel model for $20 more. But I dont think you can change barrels on em, I'd have to check on that.

4. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

the wizard looks a lot like the Handi rifle

5. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

I have a Savage Edge in .223 with a Simmons scope I would sell at good price if you want to PM me. Less than 100 rounds through it.

6. SWO1

Just about got myself talked into the Rossi. Called em this morning and NO 30-30 barrel in production yet.

Only reviews, comments I can find on em is almost 2 years old at best. As with almost all guns, some good , some bad. Biggest issue seems to be light firing pin strikes. One person solved that by filing down the hammer (so he says) a few thousands. It seems you either get a good one or bad one.

H&R does make one in 30-30 (heavy barrel also) but seems HARD TO FIND. Even their site has no link to a retailer for that caliber. Besides you have to send in the receiver to have another barrel fitted...Dont think so !!

My GS has 3 Wizzards, .223 and .308 in wood stock. The .308 has a LOT better fit and finish than the .223. He also has a .243 but its a youth model in composite stock (cammo). The owners brother bought a .243/.22 combo last year but has yet to shoot it.

I want one with a .223, .308, and .35 Whelan barrel. Guess I will go Tues or Wendsday and fondle them both and make a decision. In no big hurry right now as have lots of Turkey and Fish to fry before Deer season....:p

7. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Those are all good caliber choices. I want to hear the range report when you shoot the 35 Whelen barrel. :D

8. SWO1

I've shot up to a .458 and still have all my parts. Although it was a few years ago......:p

Intresting... EVERYTHING I have read about the .35 Whelen have been POSITIVE. Not one bad comment or review. Don't know how soon I will get the barrel but I will get one. Shoots flat...Hits hard...Moderate recoil (whatever that is). With the right load good for everything in North America. I've shot 30.06s that were brutal and others that were pussy cats. Depends on the rifle.

9. SWO1

Went and checked out the two Wizzard rifles today, the .223 and .308. The .308 does have a little better fit and finish but the stock dosnt look as good as the .223. The .223 has a LOT BETTER trigger, crisp and light. For $260 dont expect a work of art, just a knock around hunting rifle. Of the two I would opt for the .223 and add .308 and .35 Whelen barrels.

I also checked out the Savage 340. Nothing special. The Weaver 7X is older than the rifle....:rolleyes: I didnt like the band that is around the barrel that holds it down to the fore-end of the stock. At $399 not worth any more than $250 to me. He also had a Rem 700 ADL .223...nice rifle. Trigger felt like about 2 lbs. But for $499 (no scope) and an older one, not an option as The 7XVH is a shooter and I have less than that in it with the 32X Simmons on it.

He also had a couple well used Rossi .223s with traditional composite stock. They are the older ones and almost as much as a new Wizzard.