Time to start the 2012 "Venison" Thread !!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Sep 30, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I know, Turkey aint until tomorrow, but our 6 wont yield the meat the front ham does on a Doe. Up until last night havnt gotten a buck on any of my cameras. Seen em but not in the shootin zones. Had a good one this morning with 3 does about 200 yds from the house. Im thinking it was this one, same general area. He looks to be about 8-10 pts. but really cant tell as the photo is blurry, he must have been moving. from the looks of it he was pawing at the ground. Have some minerals burined there. When he saw me this morning he started snorting and stomping his feet. think he was tellin me....These are my girls....stay away...:cool:

Attached Files:

2. SWO1

The picture of the Buck in the first post was too blurry to determine how many points. So I took it and put it through an inhansement tool to see if I could tell more. I could clearly make out at least 7 spikes on one side but could not see the eye guard because of the angle of his head. So I'm going to say he is at LEAST 14 AND PROBLEY 16 Pts. I stated he was was probley moving as the camera snapped the photo. Well the enhansement and enlargement CLEARLY shows:

1. There is a buck in the photo
    2. There is ALSO a Doe in the photo
    3. The Buck is mounted on the Doe
    4. Yes....he is moving......lol

THE RUT HAS STARTED......................:cool:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

3. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Horny Toads...already? :p I went outside the other night/morn Sat/Sun at ~0200. Sounded like a horse race. Must have been a heard of them in the beans behind the house that took off in several directions. Two different does whistled and carried on like I'd enterupted their 'tea'. Maybe the my bride can pop one from the comforts of the backyard? We'll see what patterns develop as the days get shorter and have less sunlight. Her get up and go done went when it comes to walks in the woods, no matter the reason,but she's got the tools to do the harvesting job. Her last couple of years' "deer blind" has been sitting in a pick up parked on the field or edge of one where she's out of the wind and has a thermos of hot coffee. Sure would be nice if she'd kill one right at the house...less work getting it hung up to cool.

4. SWO1

After a 4 hour fruitless turkey hunt this morning took a hike to the south 40 to a deer stand I hadnt hunted in 4-5 years. As I approched it off to the north on a small ridge topped with a cedar thicket came that low, drawn-out, Tubba like snort. Sure sounded like Mr. Big.......:D I took the swivel seat out of it when I built my 3 man stand. I've got another one and will re-install this week. Also has grown up and will have to do some Prunin. Looks like I will have to get back in it some this season.

Tell the misses to wrap up warm on the porch and PoP one. Nothin wrong with that. I can hear her now....Ka-Boom........Spoon, dear, run out there and fetch that for me if ya will...:p My brother-in law shoots em out of his bedroom window, rolls over and goes back to sleep.....:rolleyes:

5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

SWO1
    I a
    M just uploading a video of a couple of Fallow I shot last year.
    Try not to laugh when I slip.
    Cheers mate
    Bucky

6. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Bugger me !
    Cannot upload. Gets to 99% and
    Schytes me !

7. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Darn...I was looking forward to a laugh on somebody else's bruises! Get the villainous file loaded and we'll surely view it!

8. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Will try again, but not now as I have to go earn some $$$$
    Cheers

9. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

See what you guys have gone an done. :p
    I haven't shot a deer in ???? years. But with this thread, I'm getting a hankerin' to get in the woods. Bought a new trail cam today. Lined up a new spot to hunt. We'll see what happens. Been such a long dry spell that I didn't even buy a license last year. Not sure that I'm physically able to drag one out of the woods but I think I'm going to try. This thread lit the fire.
    Here are some 2010 pics from my trail cam. Let's call them "fire starters".

Attached Files:

10. SWO1

REAL nice pics Grayhawk......I don't drag em anymore either. I use my little Ford 801 with a 3 pt. boom. Made a harness out of old baler belts. Ride out in style......:cool:

11. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Good stuff Grey
    Keep up the good work

12. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

SWO1 & Grey
    Check out the video I finally got on !
    But it is on the front page of the site
    Cheers
    Bucky

13. SWO1

Sure do like them deer Bucky. The Bucks for sure. Bet they are tasty....:p

The terrain from what I can see in the video is BEAUTIFUL !! Lot different from the thick Hard Wood forests I hunt in of Oak, Hickory and Ash. I have about 1200 acres I roam but looks like ya got me beat by a mile(s).....:cool:

14. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

SWO1
    I have 1200 acres to check, every week of so, for foxes, and Roo's, and they are real close handy.
    Goat country usually demands a long drive into New South Wales, Queensland or South Australia
    Either way it's a 12 or a 20 hr drive. So we want big properties, up to 20,000 acres, and of course a local shooter we know, or take out on the "piss", to get access. As we all do !

Fallow and Red deer are within 20 minutes, but the trouble there is "animal liberationists" or "greenies". But as long as we have the owners permission, they all can get stuffed.
    Sambar deer, have been sighted, and shot within a 30 minute drive, but that is again who you know !

I will take out my .444 on Tuesday and knock over a few Fallow ( hopefully )
    Have picked up another 300 acre property, close to where I nailed those others

Will take Video

15. SWO1

Bucky

Was wondering, do you eat the Roos ? Do you have any of the Big Reds ?

I know what you mean about the Greenies, We call em "Tree Huggers" around here. For the most part they Know NOTHING about land or game management. For years we had a Buck only on white tail and then only 1 a year. As of about 10 or so years ago the population went thru the roof. Downtown Springfield got so bad with car/deer collisions that they opened up Bow Hunting on the City Streets. Now in most counties, mine included, you can take as many Does as you want.

What about your Permit Fees there. Here in my State, land owners get free Tags, depending on how many Acres you own or lease. Me and my 2 grandsons each get 1 Any Deer tag, and 2 Doe tags, and thats for gun, you can also get more if ya bow hunt, which I dont. Same goes for Turkey, 2 each for Spring and Fall Season for gun and more for bow. Otherwise its $17 for an Any Deer tag and $7 for each Doe tag.

Ive got a neighbor who is disabled and there are 7 of em living there. He has 250 acres that borders mine. He pays for the tags and we keep em thinned out and provide the meat for them also.

16. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Very nice video. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it.

As for Deer Season; my state is divided into 4 zones. If you are willing to travel, a hunter can limit out in each zone which would allow for a total of 12 deer. In addition to that, there are urban permits available in certain areas. Only one antlered deer per season and the rest are antler-less.
    The zone where I live allows 4 but I can travel 2 counties to the East and take 6 more.
    The resident hunting license is $19 plus the either sex permit for $24. Any additional Doe permits are $15 but they expire on Nov. 25 of this year. $24 tags are required after that date.
    Weapons permitted (during specified dates) are archery (Sept. 29 - Feb. 3), 38 cal. or larger muzzle-loader, any shotgun with single slug or handgun with 5" or longer barrel, .357 or larger straight case.
    Here is a link to our regulations. http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting.aspx

Grey

17. SWO1

Interesting Regulations greyhawk....From reading I assume Ohio is one of the States forbidding deer hunting with CenterFire Rifles and only straight Walled pistol rounds. Also dont allow black powder pistols to deer hunt. Also interesting is they require Hunting permit in addition to deer permits.

In contrast Missouri allows ANY CENTERFIRE Rifle or Pistol (.18-.50 cal) and Pistol (.40 black powder) to be used. A change this year allows Pistols to be used during what used to be Black Powder and now is called Alternative Methods. So during the season which runs from (this year) 10 Nov - 25 Dec we can use it all. Also shell limit is 11 (10 in mag, 1 in chamber). Cross bows are also legal during gun season and alternative methods. Also Atlatls can be used. Pic supplied and AIR GUNS with an eternal air supply.

Mo. Deer Regulations: http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/regulations/deer-regulations/2012-firearms-deer-hunting

Attached Files:

18. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

SWO1
    Sorry mate I missed this one.
    I will endeavor to answer your questions

I do eat Roo's, generally I knock over a 1/2 grown one for the pot. (yum)
    The rest I do for dog meat, except I may whip out the "backs traps"

Legally we can only take "Roo's" in Victoria by a permit, and if my name is on the permit, as the shooter.
    They have to be tagged, and not burried, so the inspectors can check them out.
    I have been shooting Roos for over 40 years.
    God only knows how many I have nailed
    But there are literally millions of them just in Victoria. In fact they are a bloody pest. Cars always smashing into them, and I have counted up to 300 in paddocks near "the Bush".
    That many on a 50 or 100 acre paddock means not. much grass for the cattle. The farmer complains, the local Government department will drop by and issue a permit for 10 or 15
    Of course I get permits orgsnized all the time, (not) That's rediculous

Other states have cull permits for "Human Consumption" there are mobile freezers ect are springing up all over South Australia, and Queensland, and New South Wales All loaded up and headed back to the Abitoirs for processing.
    It was these "roo's" that found their way into Amarican Hamburgers, all those years back.
    Big Reds are indeed a magnificent animal. They are mainly in the north of Victoria, up into New South Wales and in South Australia. They can be 9 ft high in angry mode, and have a front paw bigger than a mans hand. Their tails can be up to 6-8 " across at the base of the spine. And head on like a calf.

Down our way we have Grey Kangaroo's and Wallabys.
    Although the Grey is not as huge as a Red, he is still an big boy.
    A Grey buck may only be 6 " shorter than a "Big Red" just a little lighter, still he too is big

Those small ones 4 ft high that you see are females. And every female has a "joey" in its pouch

Deer stalking Permit cost me $146.80 per year, and I get 3 years in one block
    Private property and an agreeable farmer allows me to shoot deer all year round.
    If I hunt deer in the Alpine National Park ( the Victorian High Country) then I abide by the riles. Hence the Deer Stalkers Lisence

I hope I have all this corrected, now I am at home on a real computer ?
    But it sounds good to me

Cheers Bucky

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  19. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

SWO1
    Sorry mate, but I missed this one
    I have tried replying from my Iphone, and guess what, ?... it went into headless chook mode, so I have redone the reply again
    Almost the same too
    Big reds usually start in Northern Victoria 500 plus km from us

And the Bucks are real big, over 9 ft tall when angry and incredibly muscular.
    They look like they have been working out on the weights.
    Here, in Southern Victoria we mainly have Grey's, and they are just a bit smaller.
    Roo shooting is generally a free for all, as there are millions in Victoria alone, let alone the other bigger states.
    The Government is trying to regulate it, so we have to be carefully not to frequent the same spot too much or we get caught, but the farmers love us.

Stalking deer requires a permit on Government or Crown land,, and I forget the price per year but if I was to say $150 approx for 3 years then I would be close.
    On private property, it's just the farmers permission.

Cheers Bucky

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012