Tooth pain!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by straightshooter, Sep 30, 2014.

1. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

I have been having one particular tooth giving me problems for months now. The tooth would have a little pain but it didn't last long so I let it be. I was told 3 years ago it needed a root canal to stop the occasional pain and sometimes infection. I since then read root canals are not a good idea for teeth prone to infection as the infection can get sealed in the tooth.
    This time the tooth had become loose and that usually means it has to come out.
    Now here is what you all might write down or try to remember. Clove powder on a tooth aching can remove the tooth pain. Last week the clove powder worked and I got to sleep. Well this last weekend the clove wasn't working. My lip and gum around the tooth were swollen big time. Why does it seem tooth aches happen on weekends when the dang dentist is closed??

I read that doing coconut oil pull worked good for pulling bad stuff out of the gums. At this point I was in enough pain to try it. About a table spoon full of coconut oil put between my lip and the gums at the tooth and kept swishing it around in that area for about 15 minutes. The pain was starting to subside pretty quick to where it wasn't hurting now. That was around 4a.m. and now I could get to sleep. About 9 a.m. even though it wasn't hurting I did the oil pull again to maybe knock down some more of the swelling left over from first pull.
    Spit the oil into a can not into the sink because coconut oil solidifies under 76 degrees. This is like pouring hot grease down the sink and will sure enough clog the drain. Also do NOT swallow the oil because it probably has some nasty bad stuff in it that you don't want in your belly getting digested.
    I called and luckily got an appointment to see my dentist. Still didn't have any pain. He said yep the tooth has to come out but not till the infection was under control. Got 7 day prescription and then will get the tooth yanked out.
    So remember if you have a tooth ache you might try a good dip of clove powder or a table spoon of coconut oil for a pull to stop tooth pain. The dentist said coconut oil and also guacamole oil is old-old long time remedy for toothache and gum treatment. There are reports of gum disease healing up doing oil pulling. I can believe it. It may or may not work for everyone or every time but it sure made my day much easier to deal with.
    I will keep a jar of coconut oil and a little jar of powdered cloves around.

I actually use mainly coconut oil for my cooking that requires oil. IMO it makes very good brownies and cookies. Frying fish and potato fries don't have a greasy taste IMO.
    From your somewhat toothless windbag.

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Get it pulled...unless it is your last tooth.:confused:

3. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

pull it,nothin worse than a tooth ache except gettin kicked in the down under

4. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Glad that the home remedies at least got you through the weekend, straightshooter! Been fortunate and don't have many toothaches but I'll have to remember the coconut oil trick.

5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Root canal fillings are a waste of time
    It will go black, in a few tears, and still need to get pulled, and you spend a heap of $$$$.

6. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

Bucky, nice subliminal message! I think you meant "years" but either word works!

7. straightshooter

Yep I have never had a root canal. never heard any good about them and the cost is ridiculous. I still had all my teeth except one up until about 5 years ago. Since then I have had to have 5 pulled. All but one were on the bottom.
    Going to have this one pulled then a wisdom tooth that came in almost sideways and is loose now will be next to go. I think I am going to have to get a partial on the bottom then.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  8. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Opps
    my dyslexia, of the fingers" has kicked in again

In a few "YEARS", not tears !
    :p

9. straightshooter

Well I still have the tooth since it still has infection. So another week of antibiotics and hope then infection will be gone as well as the tooth.

10. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Good luck Mon! Nothing worse than a toothache. I feel for you.

11. straightshooter

I don't have any toothache now just infection in the gum at tooth that doesn't want to go away.

12. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

An old fashion recipe for relieving toothache

Gargle whiskey. apparently the old gargle, rinse, and spit works a treat.

If that don't work, Light a candle, start drinking the whiskey, and when you see 3 candles, blow out the one in the middle.

13. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Remember to use cheap whiskey - no single barrel Jack Daniels or 12 year old + single malts.

14. straightshooter

It seems there are a lot of people with toothaches because your remedy seems to be taken often by people. Most the gargle doesn't work because more are swallowing the stuff than spitting it out.