"UNKNOWN" Reloads

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SWO1, Oct 17, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The friend whos 308 I have been working with came over this morning with some brass from shooting to fire form for reloading. He purchased 3 boxes (60 rds) of reloaded ammo. All the box says is: 145 GR. $9.95

On firing he said most were hard to chamber and extract. About 6 had to be forceably extracted. He stated that they seemed hotter than the 180 gr Win and a lot more than the 150 gr core-lok. The brass is PPU. I checked the case length and all 40 cases where within specs. I then checked about half of the unfired box for OAL and all where 2.85 +/- 5/1000. Thats a little long for me and all reloading data I have (Lyman, Lee, Sierra).

I advised him NOT to shoot any more of them. We called the reloader to get component data, Bullet, Powder, charge and primer, but he was not in today.

I full length sized the cases , will reload and seat to 2.70 and seat Sierra 150 gr Game Kings, and have him refire to re-form.

Without knowing the components and IF the cases had been full length sized prior to reloading really no way to make a best quess as to what went wrong. And they did have a slight crimp. Win, Rem (factory) AND MY REALOADS had no problems.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

It's just me but I don't normally buy "unknown reloads". As I recall, the only ones that I've bought were a box of 44 mag. Cowboy Action Reloads. They were about $16 for a box of 50 and I wanted the brass. However, I would trust my son's reloads.
    And, I would not be offended if anyone declined to shoot my reloads. I have friends that I have supervised while they used my equipment to load their ammo but my reloads are for my personal use. I can't imagine how I would feel if someone was injured because of my reloads.
    Like I said, that's just me and I'm not big on trusting other people, especial total strangers.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Well put grey...I'm the same way !

4. SWO1

Im like you grey...Ive been asked to reload for quite a few people and declined. I have a real good friend, for over 30 years, hunt and fish with him, a great guy. He reloads also for 30.06 and .204 Rugar for himself and .243 for his grandson. A lot of them dont work for various reasons. I wouldnt use any of his for any reason.....LOL

5. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

When I get unknown "crap", its out with the "impact bullet puller", and rip 2 or 3 apart, see if there is anything in common, or a recipe, that is supposed to be there.
    If yes then it's into the reloading books to check out velocities. and everything else they are supposed to do.
    I no, then it's rip them apart, save the brass, primer and the projectile, and start again.

6. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Guys
    I do not mind reloading for other people i know, but not strangers.
    Depending on what caliber, I get them to buy the dies.
    That eliminates the time wasters immediately. !
    I have a rigorous sighting in and grouping technique, that eliminates all but the die hard shooter that really want to reload, and learn proper shooting.

Works a treat.

7. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

I will also add that no stranger gets into my reloading room, unless that are first brought to me by someone I know and trust.
    Never

8. SWO1

I enjoy working with people with their rifles and helping them get ready for hunting. Have started already having people come and want me to mount scopes, sight in their rifles. First thing is a Weapons inspection. I cant believe the $$ some people will lay out for guns and not have the proper cleaning equiment or know how to maintain a firearm.

Also have them show up with a pile of mis-matched ammo. No two brands alike, different OALs, different bullet types and say they cant get their rifles to shoot consistant groups.......:rolleyes: I obtained the Rem 770 .243 from one of these guys. He Insisted that since it would not perform with PREIMUM Win ammo it wasnt any good. For $200 it loves Fed 100gr powershoks @ about 13 a box vice 35 for the "good stuff" at Wal-Mart......:p

9. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

SWO1

I totally agree with you, about the clean rifle syndrome. Inside some barrels, you can grow potatoes, it's that dirty.

I check the lug screws, and the tang. Clean and adjust, and look for movement when tightening up.

Then it's some bore scrub, Hoppes No. 9 is very aggressive, but it gets every bit of shit out of the bore. Then patch it thru for as long as it takes.
    A formulated gun oil, patch till clean then have a look

Then we go out and try my 4 * 3 rounds theory, and look for the tightest group. And then make decisions for the next batch