Walmart 22LR - Federal 550 vs Winchester 555 - Model 60 Only

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by enduroguy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. enduroguy

enduroguy Member

This thread is about the Marlin Model 60 and two specific types of Ammo only....

The 22LR Federal 550 pack and the Winchester 555 Pack (both found at Walmart)

Personally, I have had very good results with the Federal.

But what is your experience with these in your Model 60 ?

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I prefer the Federal in my mod. 60. They seem to cycle and shoot pretty well.

3. dayid

dayid Member

Winchester ranks as the only ammunition that I've continuously garnered failures from in my model 60s. My brother-in-laws model 60 did not prefer it either. Federal, CCI, Remington have all always done well - just not Winchester.

4. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Both are good in my 60

Enduro,
    My 60 shoots both of these brands very well. Good groups on a good day when I do my stuff. But they do not shoot to the same point of aim. If you sight for one, the other is off. If I would take the time to log the data, I could just use the mil-dots to use that Arkansas or Kentucky windage...but I like to shoot so resighting is ok by me. The difference is not all that much but it is enough of a difference to require a body shot when I really want a head shot on a squirrel.

Get a box of each, or a box of 50 and see which one you like and then buy the bulk.

5. standingbuffalo

standingbuffalo New Member

in the past didn't marlin say specifically to not use winchester ammo? i seem to remember that, and then it changed after the buy out.

6. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Every gun shots different get the smallest box of afew at a time and find out what your Model 60 likes.
    No 2 guns shoot alike even the same exact guns shot differenty.One model 60 might like Remingtons where the other will shot CCI.

7. venturer

venturer Member

I am all for stingers! the 22 LR hollow point with a kick!

8. bob2231

bob2231 Active Member

The Walmart close to me has been sold out of both,anything larger than 50rd boxes,for over a year.

9. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

My 70 likes the Fed a little better, but it was chocking on this latest batch we were shooting today. The 22/45 was having troubles too, so I think we got a bad box. Both guns had no issues with Stingers.

10. myg30

myg30 Member

Stingers and most all cci's shoot well. Yes they are little more expensive.
    The bulk boxes are hit and miss. I think QC is lacking bad in America.
    Good enough, seems to be the normal excepted these days.

Just me .02 worth,
    Happy Thanksgiving to all, safe shootin ,

Mike

11. venturer

venturer Member

I have never had a stinger Misfire sense I have have started using them for years. Take a empty coke can and fill it with water then shoot it with a stinger shell. You will be impressed when all that is left is the seam. I did it today again just to demo it for some friends. I wish you could have seen their expressions!

12. venturer

venturer Member

Also killed a coyote at 30 yards with one last year in my pasture. Head shot dropped him where he was!

13. enduroguy

enduroguy Member

Found 2 boxes yesterday.

Seems it may be becoming available again now.

I couldn't find it for about 6 - 7 months.