Well, I did it...

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by 28Shooter, May 13, 2014.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Turned 55 today and put in my retirement papers for July 1. I'll have my 30 years of credited service (local government) on that date and with the 55, I've got my 85 - the magic number! Greatest feeling in the world!

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Congrats 28Shooter. I also gave it up for good at 55. Active duty (22) and Civil Service (16). Never had second thoughts or since. ENJOY. Now with SS a triple dipper ...... :p

Only thing is be careful. People tend to think that you have all the time to do all kinds of jobs, not that we have a life of our own. I have threatened to get another full time job with at LEAST WEEKENDS OFF ........ :eek:

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!!
    I agree with SWO1.
    I was in the civilian work force for 48 years. The biggest adjustment was emotional. I've always worked hard and placed much of my daily net value in what I had achieved that day. Had to adjust to the fact that my personal net value was based on who I am, not what I could do.
    At first, it seems like an extended vacation. Whether or not you find a "keep busy" job or find lots of projects to keep you busy is your choice. My advice, just don't fall in love with a sedimentary life style.
    Certainly wish you the best. Enjoy!!!

4. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Congratulations 28shooter! Enjoy the retirement. It's been a year since I retired. I agree with SWO1, the trick is to stay busy and do the projects that you never had time to do before.

5. glock26USMC

glock26USMC Well-Known Member Supporting

Congratulations and enjoy your retirement

6. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Don't worry, be happy! Retirement! The Holy Grail of every working man. You have reached another milestone of life. Watcha gonna do?

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Congrats 28shooter...and welcome to the club !!

Retired from the DoD after 35 years of service...been retired 6 years as of March 31st, 2014.

9. havasu

havasu Well-Known Member

Another one joins our club. I pulled the plug on the last day of 2009 after 26 years in law enforcement, and haven't been happier.

10. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thank you guys for everything you do for our communities!

11. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Thanks Everybody! Current plan is for me to take six months off, rebuild my body/health from too many years behind a desk, and work on some long delayed home repairs and upgrades. I then plan to volunteer a day or two a week at a draft horse rescue and also help out with the feeding ministry in my church - not that the two are related but...sorry, bad joke. I've also been talking to the local gun shop about some part time work and that might be a possibility.

12. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Working part time at a gunsmiths sounds like fun to me!