Western Auto Revelation (Marlin 336)

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by billjohnso20, Sep 1, 2012.

1. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 New Member

I've been looking for a Marlin 336 for a project gun for two years now. I don't have any pictures to post yet, but I picked up a Western Auto Revelation (Marlin 336) a couple weeks ago for a couple hundred bucks. When I ran across this one, I knew I had found the gun I've been looking for.

The wood isn't in good shape but the lock up is good and the lever is as smooth as glass. I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to have a gunsmith reblue it. The blueing on it is thin but still serviceable.

I'm going cowboy tactical with it. No, I'm not going to do a cheesy Mossberg copy. Instead, I found a Ramline black synthetic stock, bought an XS Sights scout rail, and I'm going to mount a pistol scope on it. It will be set up like a scout rifle when I'm done with her.

Once I get back home in Missouri, I'll post photos. Unfortunately, I got stuck in Alabama after my grandad's funeral because of Isaac.

2. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. Nice find on the rifle. There are still some deals out there you just have to look a little harder. Welcome to the forum. We'll be waiting for the pictures.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 New Member

I need a little helpful advice.

The instructions supplied wit the synthetic stock I bought say to remove the cap screw from the tubular magazine and remove the end cap to first remove spring and follower then remove the tube. As expected after humpteen decades the end cap will not come off. I've let it sit for days hoping penetrating oil would help but to no avail.

The tube can be removed intact without removing the end cap, etc. first, however, I'm not sure it can be reinstalled that way without risking damage to the spring. I don't want to damage this gun in any way. I've looked long and hard for a project Marlin lever gun. To me it's not a project if I have to hand it over to a gunsmith for everything.

One thing occurs to me. I wonder if it is possible to tap the end cap off/out from inside the tube once it's removed from the receiver? If so, that would allow it to at least be reinstalled the correct way---maybe.